anyweb

How can I import computers into SCCM 2012 using a file ?

Did you try to only use a computer name and see what System Center does ?

Anyway, I tested it and yes it is possible, only provide the names in it like this:

Name
<NAME1>
<NAME2>

Make sure you have This file has column headings turned on.

you need to specify NAME and MAC ADDRESS or NAME and SMSBIO GUID, you must have at least two

Ok...contrary reports here...

guys, i have imported computer information and also created the source computer details. once done, i can go into USM view and can see the computer association. once i start the new computer and deploy the OS, the USM kicks into action, however, a new association is created in User State Migration where the source and destination computer names are the same. i do not want this, as i have already created the association when importing the computer into sccm. how can i avoid this?

Hi anyweb,

once again another great tutorial!

My question: Is it possible to give the PC's the device name in this way? E.g. if I have a PC without an OS and I want to name it...can I do it by importing the computer via a csv file and set the name in it or do I have to use a task sequence to name every single PC?

The disadvantage by setting the name via task sequence is that I have to type it in every time when I want deploy a OS,right?

I have around 100 new PCs which I want to manage with SCCM 2012 in the future (within this month) and every single device needs a specific device name. The plan is to deploy a captured image to the devices.

My question: Is the given name in the csv file automatically the device name in Windows?

I am searching the best way to name the devices.

I don't use MDT....

The way to name a device which I know so far is to create a task sequence:

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5542-how-can-i-easily-prompt-for-a-computer-name-in-configuration-manager-2012/

And afaik I only need to name a device once right? When I deploy the image once again it will migrate the device name. So I am only interessted in naming a device with non running OS.