Locdog

WDS Service "Starting"

Hi.

I have a problem in my labb with SCCM 2012 RC1, everything was working fine untill i Installed MDT 2012 beta 2.

After that when i restart my SCCM server the WDS server is in "Starting" and all my options are greyed.

I think this started when i first installed MDT 2012 beta 2. i have tried reinstalling the WDS role using SCCM:s PXE option under distribution point.

removed all the drivers.

removed boot images.

and then redeployed them.

After a couple of hours i decided to just roll back using my snapshot and reinstall everything from scratch. This time i insatlled MDT 2012 beta before i enabled PXE and created a boot image, mdt tool package etc etc.

Everything installed fine and when i restarted the server the WDS service was in "Starting"

please help

Hello.

I have now reinstalled the SCCM server. Removed the server all together and the system manegement container.

I followed the guides by anyweb everything worked fine PXE boot application deployment updates the works.

After a windows update of the SCCM server restarted and now the WDS service is not starting, its stuck in "starting"

I dont have MDT installed now, i can get it working again by reinstalling the WDS role but as soon as i restart the server the WDS service stops working.

What logg files should i check to try and get this fixed?

Im also wondering if this could be a problem with the DHCP server?

the DHCP server is not installed on the SCCM server.

My setup is AD, DNS and DHCP on a physical server running hyper-v, im running 2 virtual Windows 7 clients on this.

Server 2 is where i have SCCM installed on a virtual Hyper-v machine. this physical server is not running anything other then the Hyper-v Role.

Think i got it fixed.

Problem is i did 3 things at once and restarted the server. so most likely one of these

limited the PXE threads to 1

http://blogs.technet.com/b/configurationmgr/archive/2011/02/28/new-kb-article-a-configuration-manager-2007-pxe-service-point-causes-the-windows-deployment-services-server-service-to-crash-and-hang.aspx

Followed below and assigned permissions to the SMS Agent Host Application

http://coreworx.blogspot.com/2010/06/event-id-10016-distributedcom.html

And i also changed the startup type of the WDS service from Auto to Auto (delayed start)

Ive tried to put it in delayed start before without success but that was my old SCCM labb server.

Will take a snapshot now and add some drivers and the MDT 2012 beta 2 and see if it still works.

1 - uninstall pxe services

2 - start the computer and start the wds services

3 - install (start) pxe services within SCCM2012

4 - upload the boot images.

please clarify, what are 'pxe services' and by 'wds services' do you mean the windows deployment services Role ?

are you saying that you did the following:-

• uninstall the Distribution Point role
  • uninstall Windows Deployment Services Windows Role,
  • reboot
  • do NOT install or Configure WDS
  • install the DP role, monitor the Distrmgr.log

<p>Just to add to this:, After a rebuild to rc1 now everyting seemed ok at first, added a task sequence and had the thing booting from PXE but as above rebooted my server and have the wds service stuck at "Starting".</p>

<ul>

<li>I added the regkey from the above comment for <em>NumberOfThreads</em> this is a sccm 2007 fix but I'll try it. Also note here had no PXE key under SMS to start with. tried 32 bit Dword no resolution for me after reboot.</li>

<li>Then I did as we are told, remove DP, WDS role, reboot and added DP back with PXE, rebooted it worked once, then after another reboot it's back to "starting"</li>

<li>Tried delayed start, same result, going to try a complete rebuild of the vm , (this machine had the beta on previously)and start again, if it still occurs post more.</li>

</ul>

please clarify, what are 'pxe services' and by 'wds services' do you mean the windows deployment services Role ?

• reboot

• reboot

Sorry for not beeing clear for what i wrote.

with "wds services" i mean is windows deployment services server and by pxe services i meaned the following.

1 - i removed enabled PXE support for clients

2 - restart the server

3 - i checked and started windows deployment services server from services.msce

4 - enabled PXE support for clients again

4 - distribute boot images.

Now my server services are enabled and it works fine.

9a3b4z.png