anyweb

using SCCM 2012 RC in a LAB - Part 8. Deploying Windows 7 X64

Do you have your boundaries configured properly for site assignment...looks like your client is unable to pull down any policies and the management point is unable to be resolved which points to a DNS issue but if you can ping the FQDN (not IP address) then it is fine. What is the status of the MP in the console reading, any errors?

For self-signed certs which uses HTTP communication there is no need to set up certs, only for PKI certs.

You have configured your PXE DP for HTTP communication? This is done in the properties of the DP on the general tab.

DPSelfSignedConfiguration.JPG

I was able to ping the FQDN of the SCCM server. My PXE settings were set correctly (matched the picture you posted. It looks like it's my boundaries. I have some that were set up automacically (by IP address range) but they all have a group count of 0. I think I missed something simple. This is my first attempt at setting up SCCM, so I might have missed something simple.

Yup sure does sound like a boundary issue so then! There should be atleast 1 or more systems assigned depending on your setup!

Check your boundary group to make sure you have added the DP and ticked the box to assign the boundary group for site assignment.

I have a device collection with all the systems in it that under the deployment tab, has the install deployments listed. But I can't seem to figure out how to get a system listed in the boundaries. Does a machine have to be added to the domain first or can I boot a new machine to the PXE and deploy windows?

Does a machine have to be added to the domain first or can I boot a new machine to the PXE and deploy windows?

No a machine does not have to be added to domain...If you have unknown computer support enabled on the DP then it should boot to PXE once it is unknown......if the system is discovered and is visible in the console then it will not PXE boot as an unknown client. Deploy your TS to the unknown collection and delete 1 of your discovered systems to test or if you have a system that is just out of box will do as it wont have been discovered.

I have some that were set up automacically (by IP address range) but they all have a group count of 0. I think I missed something simple

Did you get this sorted? It wont work until you get your boundaries configured properly.

But I can't seem to figure out how to get a system listed in the boundaries

Not sure what you mean

Can you expand?

I guess I don't have boundaries set up correctly. I have some that must have been auto created, but they all have a 0 for a group count. they are set up as IP address ranges. I also created a new one by AD site and selected the one that I'd be in and still all system counts are 0. Any help would be appreciated with this.

Thanks as always Anyweb!

Couple of quick questions. In my deployment TS, I have it set to partition the drive, simply assigning all available space to the drive and making it bootable. For whatever reason, it always assigns the letter to D: instead of C: not matter what I try. Any ideas? Second issue I'm running into is that on some systems, the TS doesn't seem to pick back up after downloading and installing drivers. The system reboots and installs drivers/updates registry settings, but then boots into the OS instead of going back to the TS and installing updates, software, creating user accounts, etc... This happens every time on machines it occurs on.

are you using Configuration Manager 2012 R2 or SP1 ? either way capture the image using the build and capture method but specify the following variable BEFORE the apply operating system step in the build and capture TS

set task sequence variable OSDPreserveDriveLetter=FALSE

when you deploy that captured image in a deploy ts it will deploy windows on C:\

• Like 1

are you using Configuration Manager 2012 R2 or SP1 ? either way capture the image using the build and capture method but specify the following variable BEFORE the apply operating system step in the build and capture TS

set task sequence variable OSDPreserveDriveLetter=FALSE

when you deploy that captured image in a deploy ts it will deploy windows on C:\

Thanks! I'll give that a shot. Any ideas on the 2nd issue?