anyweb

using SCCM 2012 RC in a LAB - Part 11. Adding the Reporting Services Point role

Really great documentation here! Thank you for putting this together.

I am having an issue with SQL Server Reporting Services: it does not start. Did not know if it was running before SCCM 2012 was installed, but i noticed after installing Reporting Services Point. SQL Server Reporting Services does not start automatically at bootup or manually. It throws out errors codes: 1053 error, EventID 7000 & 7009, Timeout was reached, Timely fashion etc.).

SQL 2008 R2 SP1 CU7 on Server 2008 R2 SP1 Standard

Any thoughts?

Hi all

If you are running SCCM database on a SQL cluster: you will need to run the reporting server on a separate server (I couldn't get it running on a cluster node and I didn't like it anyway :) I went for a VM with not much ressources).

After installing the SRSS service, you must configure it before going back to SCCM:

• Configure the service to start with the SCCM report user
  • create the DB (point it to your clustered system center instance)
  • Report server DB credential: use once again the SCCM report user
  • Add the Report Manager url (at least http)
  • Define the Execution Account with the SCCM Report user.
  • I also added the sccm report user as local admin of the SRSS server (not sure it's really needed)
  • Add the SCCM server computer account as local admin of the SRSS server (needed to configure the server).

I'm not sure it's a 'production' valid setup regarding security but I couldn't find a way to get it working until i did all these steps.

Once done, go back to the SCCM console (based on the following post: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmanagergeneral/thread/4479e73e-8a19-4c7e-9418-b36770656b9b)

In CfgMgr, In the Administration workspace, expand Site Configuration, and then clickServers and Site System Roles.

(....) you have to go to New site system and add the SSRS box.

Then, on the Home tab, in the Server group, clickAdd Site System Role. The Add Site System Roles Wizard opens. Choose Reporting Point, and after verifying the connection to the CfgMgr DB, the instance name should populate.

Then check back the installation process as described in the original post by anyweb.

Hope this helps

Steve

• Like 1

Hi, Can i get a litle bit of help also?

I have installed the Reporting, I have added the security but.. i do not see the Reports. (My SQL is on one server and SCCM on another one).

Data:

- If i right clik in Reports and select Report Options i see the Reporitng Server

- The last 2 events at the component SMS_SRS_REPORTING_POINT are : "This component started". and "Site Component Manager successfully installed this component on this site system."

- The folder C:\SMS_SRSRP exists and it has reports in it also

- On the Reporting web page http://sqlserver/Reports/ i have the folder ConfigMgr_LC0 , if i go inside the Folder I see only a data source connection ( I do not see any reports)

Is this ok? What shoud I do?

Hope this helps someone else out. This fixed my ability to run reports after changing the logon password.

EDIT: After rebooting I still get the same error, but my reports are working. sheeeeeeeesh. It may still help someone. I'll update if I figure out how to avoid the error message.

I needed to change the password for the account I used for SCCM and after fixing most services I could not get the reporting service to work. After updating all the services with the correct password they all appeared to be working. However, I kept getting the same error.

component SMS_SRS_REPORTING_POINT on computer <my site> reported: The report server service is not running on Reporting Service Point server "<my stie>"; start the service to enable reporting.

After hours and hours I found where to look from this page: http://markswinkels....messageid-7403/

1.) Open Internet Explorer

2.) Browse to the following URL: http://<your SQL Server Name>/Reports

Then I had to poke around and drilled down to:

SQL Server Reporting Services> Home> ConfigMgr <site name>> Administrative Security> Security Roles Summary

Click on "Properties Tab" and Select "Security" Link in the left pane.

Clck edit on the account you've changed the password for. (Mine was tied to "ConfigMgr Report Administrators, Config Mgr Report Users"

Note any items checked then Uncheck them and click "Apply"

Check the items you unchecked and click "Apply"

My Reports began working again :)

All my other woes seem to have been fixed by uninstalling the application and reporting services roles, resetting the site and then reinstalling the roles. Who knows if that would have fixed it from the beggining :)

Note: One thing this beginner didn't account for was that after saying finished the processes (uninstalls/installs) worked in the backgroundand and I needed to check the logs to verify completion before moving on to the next step.