TomF

Swapping hard drives and AD

Question

Hey everyone, I had a quick question about a situation that I think would cause AD and/or SCCM issues but couldn't really find much to back it up or prove otherwise.

I work for a school division and we occasionally have the odd computer hardware issue. We then take the hd and place it in a working machine and put the new computer back in the classroom to get them back up and running faster while we work on the defective machine. My question is, does a simple remove from domain/re-add to domain completely resolve any AD issues? Or does the machine have to be re-imaged through SCCM to make sure everything is fine?

I'm also curious if SCCM would have any issues with this machine now as the hardware ID/MAC is now different.

Any answers or direction would be appreciated, thanks!

*edit* We are using WinXP w/ SP3 on clients, Win 2003 on servers, and forest/domain level is 2003.

1 answer to this question

Hi,

SCCM will create a duplicate record for the new computer as it has a UUID, it will not be obsolete as the UUID is different. So it will be a duplicate record where both are active.

AD will not have any issues as long as the "old" hard drive is reimaged.

Regards,

Jörgen