JKFischer

Report to show general computer usage

Question

I've looked through all of the canned Asset Intelligence reports but can't find one that shows what I need. I'm looking for a way to show a computers overall usage. What I need in the report is the Computer Name, usage in minutes for the last month, and average usage per day in minutes.

Prompting for a collection would be ideal, since we are looking to verify the need for the amount of computers we are replacing. You know, do we need more or less. Heck, maybe just a new rule to use as opposed to the xxxx.exe rules already there.

Problemis, we don't want just turned on, but actually in use. We are a Medical Facility and our computers are all on 24/7.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Or even just the disappointing, but possibly true, news that I am asking for something that SCCM just "don't do".

3 answers to this question

Well, unfortunately you can't do that with SCCM. This is a client monitoring task and you would need SCOM for it.

If you don't have a SCOM license you could simply write a lil vbscript which will be triggered by the client logon/logoff and let it write the results (client name/user name/datetime) to a sql database. The script can be applied to the client with a group policy (User Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon/Logoff).

Yeah, I was afraid that would be the answer. I appreciate the reply to verify it and have sent the request and other infomration over to our server team (they handle SCOM) for them to look into. Again, thank you for the reply. It was a useful verification.