anyweb

using SCCM 2012 RC in a LAB - Part 12. Updating an Operating System image using Offline Servicing.

that;'s about it, but i'd review the logs between point 3 and 4 to be sure the wim was updated successfully, in addition you may want to deploy the new wim image using a separate duplicate task sequence to verify it's working ok prior to rolling it out.

The process I listed above didn't work for me. I go to "Schedule Updates" on the Operating System Installer Image yet the new updates are not listed. In fact, nothing is listed.

Specifically, I am trying to add Internet Explorer 9 to my image but it doesn't seem to be included in the update. It shows in my Windows 7 Updates SUG but it doesn't appear to get installed during the Offline Servicing.

In the OfflineServicingMgr.log file I noticed the following:

Applicability State = APPLICABILITY_CHECK_NOT_SUPPORTED, Update Binary = \\SCCM01\Sources\Updates\Windows7\ed9979fd-98b0-478d-a792-10ac1409756b\WU-IE9-Windows7-x64.exe. $$<SMS_OFFLINE_SERVICING_MANAGER><10-30-2012 18:37:03.435+240><thread=5160 (0x1428)>

What does APPLICABILITY_CHECK_NOT_SUPPORTED mean exactly. Is this why it isn't installed on my image?

I believe my issue is because Offline Servicing only installs core OS updates (Component-based Servicing). When I added the "Install Software Updates" to the task sequence it appears to have installed IE9 properly. However, I did notice that it didn't install those updates that were not marked as "required" during this pass (which included some cumulative security updates for IE9). Is this because I choose to "Install Mandatory Software Updates?"

Thank you, Great Article!!

Quick question,

Lets say my WIM file is 4GB and the updates added are 50MB.

when you “update” your distribution points. Does it copy the full WIM file again everywhere or just the part that have been changed ?

Thank you

I am having issues with my Offline Imaging in a sense that nothing is wrong with the process being done with Offline Scheduling but once the image is applied during the TS phase on the client, login and review the Windows Update History, all the updates appear up as fail?

Where do you suggest troubleshooting this issue? Do I have an issues with an update(s) injected in the WIM which is causing all the others to fail?

I haven't started over with a new WIM with a new sync of updates but I wanted to reach out to the community to see if anyone has had this issue or not.

Eric

did you do multiple offline servicing attempts for this or just one ? can you show me a screenshot of what the updates appear like in the operating system

Yes this image was ran a couple times due to recent issues McAfee Access Protection was blocking the updates being applied to the WIM. Now our environment is heavy on security so my SCCM server 'had' McAfee installed at the time. Once I removed it, I've was able to successfully patch my WIM's. But to think of it, with McAfee involved at the time, it could have messed up this WIM even though SCCM says everything is successful on the console once I moved forward.

If I may just to help with the community, here is a KB that McAfee does not want to own this problem when it is there problem....

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB76867&cat=CORP_PRODUCTS&%20actp=LIST

Here are the updates applied to the image so we know logically they should be in the WIM.

post-17123-0-82616400-1376001317_thumb.png

And the other image refers to the machine that recieved that image.

post-17123-0-17400000-1376001470_thumb.png

post-17123-0-50112700-1376002194_thumb.png

post-17123-0-60762200-1376002530_thumb.png

Perhaps while you are thinking about it, I will create a freash copy of this WIM, and re-apply the same updates to and see how it goes.

As always Niall, I love your sccm knowledge, keep up the good work! I hope you can let me PM you on SUP questions if you have 15 minutes of time.

Eric

I did recreate the WIM, installed a fresh set of Updates on using the same steps above. Still getting the same issue on the clients not installing the updates in the Windows Update History. I don't know of any other way beside viewing that GUI if that is truely a failed update that didn't apply. Are there logs else where that would support that these updates are really failing during install?

Eric