anyweb

using SCCM 2012 RC in a LAB - Part 12. Updating an Operating System image using Offline Servicing.

Still at lost on this issue. So i decided that this can't work adding Windows Updates to the WIM. Unable to find anyone successful at it. So I move on and now I am unable to successfully get the Software Update step in the TS to work either. Let me just make sure I understand how it works. Added the step to right after Setup Windows and ConfigMgr. The radio button choosen is All Software Updates. Once the step arrives during the OSD, it will see it but jumps right over, nothing happens. I have SUP configured but where I am confused is, am I applying the step in the right order? Also, does the machine recieving the OSD deployment need to be in a collection where the updates are pointed as well? I've done it before, but only like 1/3 of them install then everything else fails. Am I suppose to be adding reboots at any point then add another All or Mandatory Software Update step right after?

How do you fully patch a machine during OSD is really what I want to know.

Anyone that can share a sample of the process order would be great!

Eric

Hi everyone - thanks in advance for reading my query.....

I seem unable to add any further updates (via the "Schedule Updates" - I currently see 9 in total available for my x64 Windows 7 image) and when viewing "OfflineServicingMgr.log" (screen shot attached) every update that is attempted to be installed reports "Failed to install update with ID ********* on the image. ErrorCode = 2096"

Does anyone know what error 2096 is and how to fix it?

No AV running on the Site Server

Running SCCM 2012 SP1 CU1

Thanks,

Mark

post-21377-0-35755500-1378376739_thumb.jpg

There are already quite some posts about that issue. Did you see this already: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9c34add1-5261-4dcf-b3f6-7c26ef4fcd28/sccm-2012-sp1-offline-servicing-failed-to-install-update

What did you already try and where did you already look at?

There are already quite some posts about that issue. Did you see this already: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9c34add1-5261-4dcf-b3f6-7c26ef4fcd28/sccm-2012-sp1-offline-servicing-failed-to-install-update

What did you already try and where did you already look at?

Peter, can you chime in on any of my post under 67_dbc

I am still having issues successfully applying Windows Updates at the client side and I have no issues with Offline Imaging as posted, page 1 at the bottom. At the client level appears to be where it's failing. I am not sure exactly where to contiue.

SCCM2012 Non-SP1.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

The system indeed has to be in a collection, which is targeted with an updates deployment.

Peter, thanks for the reply.

If i understand, you are saying that even though you are using the function for Schedule Updates (Offlineline Imaging) on your WIM from the SCCM Console, you still have to create a Software Updates package and advertise that to a Collection where the image is being deployed too?

Doesn't that seem to defeat the purpose of Offline Servicing, or did I misunderstand your response?

Hi!

When I add a new win7 wim file and the executive "distribute content", is created in C:\ SMSPKGSIG new folder (for example PRI00014.1). Copying process is interrupted and win7.wim size is 20MB !?

If I try to execute this win7.wim "Shedule Updates". I get the response "Failed to copy the image from the package source location to the siteserver machine."

OfflineServicingMgr.log:

There is an image associated with this schedule.

Total number of individual updates to be installed is 90.

STATMSG: ID=7903 SEV=I LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_OFFLINE_SERVICING_MANAGER" SYS=SCCM2012.LV SITE=GS0 PID=3884 TID=2968 GMTDATE=se mai 12 08:56:28.559 2012 ISTR0="GS000015" ISTR1="" ISTR2="" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=0

Package source location for image GS000015 is not writable. GLE=5

STATMSG: ID=7915 SEV=E LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_OFFLINE_SERVICING_MANAGER" SYS=SCCM2012.LV SITE=GS0 PID=3884 TID=2968 GMTDATE=se mai 12 08:56:28.568 2012 ISTR0="GS000015" ISTR1="" ISTR2="" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=0

Schedule processing failed

The problem is probably here:

Package source location for image GS000015 is not writable. GLE=5

What rights and where to be?

-------

Update:

Create a new sharing folder. I gave the right to sharing and security rights of every all / full. Began to work well. Lack of understanding of how SCCM authenticate. Although SCCM admin users and SCCM server account is given full rights.

Update2:

Sharing Permission change to Everyone to full controll.

Interestingly, with an account sccm2012 the authorization? Maybe the system!

I had this same issue. I found that I had to change the share permissions to get this to work. I started by adding "Everyone" with Full access but since changed it to "SYSTEM" account has full control and all is good...

Justin

Hi. I am a little bit puzzled by this:

The last part of this process is to update your newly updated image to our Distribution Points, this is not done automatically you must do it yourself, this means that the scheduled task can run (Offline Servicing) and when it's done, you have to review the changes made before you decide if you want to update the image to your DP's or not.

When setting an offline servicing run, on the Set Schedule step, there is a tick box and the following text:

Specify whether to update distribution points with the image after software updates are successfully applied. The image might not be availble until the image distribution is complete.

...followed by a tick box labelled:

Update distribution points with the image

So do you still have to manually distribute the image? If so, what is the point of this option/what does it do? Or is the guide slightly out of date now that we're on R2? I do note that the screenies in the guide don't have this option, so... xD