anyweb

using SCCM 2012 RC in a LAB - Part 12. Updating an Operating System image using Offline Servicing.

I've had good success with injecting the WIM file with updates. However, there are some updates that just will not install, even if they are part of the WIM file.

Basically, I image a PC through task sequence. It uses the "injected" WIM. After I log into the PC and "check for updates" to see if I've missed any updates, it lists some that still need to be installed. I checked my WIM, and they are listed under "Update Status".

I'm not sure why they're not installing. Haven't really figured out why unless they are simply failing.

Anyone have some insight?

I've had good success with injecting the WIM file with updates. However, there are some updates that just will not install, even if they are part of the WIM file.

Basically, I image a PC through task sequence. It uses the "injected" WIM. After I log into the PC and "check for updates" to see if I've missed any updates, it lists some that still need to be installed. I checked my WIM, and they are listed under "Update Status".

I'm not sure why they're not installing. Haven't really figured out why unless they are simply failing.

Anyone have some insight?

I am aslo facing te same issue. We use sccm 2012 R2. I am able to successfuly update windows 7 Ent x64 image using scedule updates(offline image servicing) and updates are showing as installed in Image properties->Installed Updates and also on the log file. But when I deploy this image using task sequence I cannot see any of these updates installed.

On the machine on which I deploy this image, when I check for updates online using Microsoft update, these updates which I installed using offline image servicing show as missing and I am able to install them using windows update. Example updates: KB300061, KB2972280.Any help will he highly appreciated.

The Offline process doesn't actually seem to check the WIM to see what updates are added.

I have been updating my offline updates to my image over the year. Today I had to do a new build & capture to recreate this image. So I go to add the offline updates to my new clean image but it says there are no updates to add. Looking at the installed updates on this System image shows all the updates I've added over time but I know no of these will be added to this WIM.

How do you go about clearing what Installed Updates SCCM thinks are applied so you can get it to start from scratch?

The only way I can see how to do this would be to delete the system image & recreate it but that will then have repercussions to the TS's linked to the image.

correct, you'd have to go back into your task sequences and replace the old image with the new one,

it's the only supported way I can think of to start with a clean slate so to speak

I didn't say it was practical, I was only offering you a choice of what to do based on your problem,

if you think the console would need the functionality you desire then i'd suggest you raise a DCR (desired configuration request) for the new feature on connect.microsoft.com and who knows, based on popularity it may make it into the next version of Configuration Manager