AdminDavid

Configuring WDS for SCCM 2007 R3

AdminDavid

This is what got me going with WDS and PXE boot

1. Install WDS but do not configure it.
  2. Intall the PXE service point from SCCM. check pxemsi.log for successfull install. (Please note that after the install. WDS will show not configured. This is normal. WDS service should be running if not Start it.
  3. Under PXE service point Check " Allow the PXE service point to respond to incoming PXE request" and "Enable unknown computer support."
  4. Upload you boot images to you regular DP and PXE DP.
  5. On your Advertisement Place check mark on " Make this Task sequence avialable to the boo media and PXE."
  6. PXE boot on the vlan and it should work. If across vlans, Ask your NET guys to place the server IP on the Router as a helper.

Hope this helps.

I have tried this, and what had happen before is when I didnt configure WDS I was unable to get the WDS Service started. I will attempt one more time and post back.

I will also ask the Net Admins to look one more time at the router. They said they had Helper turned on in the router.

• Like 1

I will also ask the Net Admins to look one more time at the router. They said they had Helper turned on in the router.

I don't know what your topology looks like so I'm going to make some assumptions.

There's probably a distribution switch somewhere that has several VLAN interfaces that act as the default gateway for the VLAN various workstations sit in. Make sure the vlan interface for the vlan your test workstations are in have "ip-helper address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" commands applied. You can have multiple ip-helper addresses configured. One will be the DHCP server and the other will be the PSP.

ip-helper addresses aren't required if the PXE client, DHCP server and PSP are all in the same subnet.

Make sure the DHCP server doesn't have DHCP options 60,66 or 67 applied.

Follow ibrafe's instructions for configuring a PSP.