slater7607

Hardware inventory not processing to site server

Question

Hello,

We have recently implemented SCCM 2007 in the past 6 months and just about every week we have problems with our hardware inventory processing back to the site server.

The SMS\MP\OUTBOXES\hinv.box folder will begin to fill up with .MIF files and stay there until we rebooot our MP and site server. At that time all of the data will process for a couple of hours depending on how much inventory is backlogged. This isn't ideal for a few reasons because 1.) we don't have any idea why/when it happens 2.) rebooting servers midday and then consuming all of the server resources for a few hours hinders our ability to use the server.

Has anyone else come across this problem and/or found a permanent solution? I'm not sure where to look logwise and any help would be appreciated.

Here is what the hinv.box folder looks like. About 90% of the files are current hardware inventory .MIFs that are created within the previous 3 or 4 days (we have hardware inventory scheduled on a 5 day cycle) and the only outboxes that fill up are for hardware inventory.

mWhS4.jpg

4 answers to this question

These is something wrong with your site to process the inventory from clients.Can you check mp_hinv.log to see if something interesting

I would suggest you to look hardware inventory troubleshooting http://blogs.technet.com/b/sudheesn/archive/2010/05/31/troubleshooting-sccm-part-ii-hardware-inventory.aspx

do you see any error messges under site system status ?

Thanks for the info, I do not see any applicable error messages under the system status so far but I will be checking it periodically. Also, the mp_hinv.log is too busy and a new log gets created just about every other hour so I'm going to put in a script to backup the logs hourly this week and go through them once the problem occurs.

I'll let you know if I find anything suspicious, thanks!

Just as a follow up, I believe we have the problem fixed and it's pretty uncommon since it was something specific to our environment.

After backing up logs and pouring through them I found nothing that indicated any problems with the servers, just notifications of the outbox folder for hinv.box had X amount of files in it but they would never process from the MP to the site server.

We are using Symantec Endpoint Protection as our firewall/anti-virus program in our organization and we had previously found a bug in somewhat older versions (11.0.5 and 11.0.6) that affected Samba processes on server shares. It was intermittently causing file transfers to halt and would not cancel or terminate the connection until either the server or the client machine was rebooted. After upgrading the SEP 12.1 which we were currently testing for rollout the problems have not occurred for the past 8 days. Hopefully this continues to be the case but in the remote chance someone else comes across this and applies to them hopefully this puts them on the right track.