Barty

Packet works when run with UNC, not from SCCM?

Question

Hello!

I have a vbs script that runs a couple of MSI-files. When i run it in the command-prompt it works great! For Example: \\SCCM-server1\Path\To\install.vbs.

When i try to distribute it from the SCCM i get an error message that it misses some EXE files so it cant go on.

I thought that it was with the UNC-path the sccm installed packages? Shouldnt it be the exact same thing as I'm doing?

Any Ideas?

// Barty

7 answers to this question

Hi,

When you have created your package, did you create a program ?

Gregory

Yes, sorry for the bad description :) The program gets advertised and some of the MSI packages gets installed just fine but one of the MSI file complains about a blablabla.exe file. Why does it not do this when i run it in the commandprompt like this \\SCCM-server1\Path\To\install.vbs, but not through the SCCM?

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/8822/sccm.png

Se pic on how i try to install. I've tried Cscript.exe "Install.vbs" and Wscript.exe "Install.vbs" and only Install.vbs all with the same error. But install it like this works just fine: \\SCCM-server1\Path\To\install.vbs.?In what way does the SCCM installation differ from my manuall installation through UNC path =?

// Barty

Write a log file for the failing msi package by extending the command line in the script with /L*v c:\windows\temp\packagename.log

It's hard to tell what's wrong without a log file. Also, did you customize the msi package, and what are the switches for the installation /q /qb /qb- /qb-! /qn ?

Are the msi files all in the root directory of the package or do you run them from child directories?

Write a log file for the failing msi package by extending the command line in the script with /L*v c:\windows\temp\packagename.log

It's hard to tell what's wrong without a log file. Also, did you customize the msi package, and what are the switches for the installation /q /qb /qb- /qb-! /qn ?

Are the msi files all in the root directory of the package or do you run them from child directories?

I run them with the /qb-! and i have all the MSI files in a childfolder.

One of the command:

objWsh.Run "msiexec.exe /i " + Chr(34) + strSourcePath + "MSI_folder\MSIFILE.msi" + Chr(34) + " /qb-!",1,True

The variable strSourcePath contains the sorucepath to the Script. I will run this code and get back to you!

msiexec.exe /i "Path\to\MSI.msi" /qb-! [b]/L*v c:\windows\temp\packagename.log[/b]
objWsh.Run "msiexec.exe /i " + Chr(34) + strSourcePath + "MSI_folder\MSIFILE.msi" + Chr(34) + " /qb-! [b]/L*v c:\windows\temp\packagename.log[/b]",1,True

Looked through the logs and what i can see the problem is that when i run it with UNC from CMD with the local administrator account the AppData is:

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\***\***

And when i run it through SCCM and advertise the program the AppData folder is:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\***\***

I dont know if this is the problem but the EXE file that bring the error up is located in this folder.

Any way to change the appdata-folder to see if it is this that messing with me? :)

// Barty

Nope, the path should not be a problem. It is different because the setup runs as Local System Account with SCCM.

The strSourcePath variable should'nt be there. This will mess up your setup command.

Anyways, i would suggest to create a single package for every msi, without subfolders. Then create a task sequence with the installation steps. This way you can modify your setup commands without resync of your distribution points.