clarityit

Build and Capture Win 7 won't Capture

Question

I just setup SCCM 2007 R3 on a Windows 2008 R2 Server with SQL 2008. The 2008 server is joined to my domain (DC = 2003 running AD, DHCP, DNS). I have followed all the steps here for installation and configuration.

I am currently in the process of trying to run a Build and Capture of Windows 7 Enterprise x64 TS and I am having problems. I have been following this process to do so. This issue I am having is that during the process it won't capture the image. Once I get to the part of "Setup windows and ConfigMgr", it will download the Configuration Manager client file, say it is installing and then say that it is preparing my desktop and finally opens to the Windows 7 Desktop. It never captures the image, or installs the client back to the computer. I don't know where to look for why it is not working because I am not sure where to find the log files, since the client never gets installed again.

I can include any screenshots or log files needed, just let me know which ones. Also the TS if need be.

Any help would be great!

6 answers to this question

are you want to capture the boot media? if yes then first you have to capture the TS media wizard then u have to create a reference image then u have to add that image in boot image in Operating system node, then configure that image in TS for OSD

I am using the default boot image that came with SCCM. I am trying to create a capture image of Windows 7 Enterprise. I have the Operating System Install Package already created and it will get installed. But I cannot get the image to be captured. It seems to be stopping at the "Setup windows and ConfigMgr" step of the Build and Capture TS. What I end up with is Windows 7 installed, NO client installed, and NO Office Installed (which is the only program I currently have installing on the Build and Capture TS).

Does this help you figure out the step you overlooked?

http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/rbennett806/pages/using-sccm-to-capture-and-deploy-windows-7.aspx

And if you enabled F8 you can boot up again and snag the logs off the workstation (but first check the advertisement status for your TS in the Configuration Manger console): http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/546-how-can-i-troubleshoot-windows-pe-booting-in-sccm/

Does this help you figure out the step you overlooked?

http://myitforum.com...-windows-7.aspx

I walked through these steps and everything seemed to be fine until I went back to see if the computer was in the collection after importing it from the Computer Association node. (Steps 19-33) I have tried updating the collection and refreshing it, but the computer will never show up in the "Build and Capture" collection. I have verified the computer name and the MAC address. Thoughts?

I found the resolution to this issue.

I had the install properties of the Microsoft Config Manager Client Upgrade 4.0 ALL in the task sequence set to this:

SMSSLP=PDXSCCM01.domain.local FSP=PDXSCCM01.domain.local SMSCACHESIZE=8000 Patch="C:\_SMSTaskSequence\OSD\PDX0000B\i386\hotfix\KB977384\sccm2007ac-sp2-kb977384-x86-enu.msp

I deleted all of that and only left the SMSCACHESIZE=8000. This then installed the client and continue with installing software in the TS.