Doug Blake

IE9 IEAK issue during OSD

Question

Hi,

We're trying to install IE9 as part of our OSD. This is software deployment step within the OSD TS as the original Windows 7 capture has IE8.

When deploying a customised MSI (using the IEAK9) the installation completes fine however when the first user for the new machine comes to try logging on the following error is displayed:

The User Profile Service service failed to start.

The error is due to the following file located within the default user profile either being unreadable not accessable -

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\SQM\iesqmdata_setup0.aqm

Deleting the above file resolves the problem, similary changing the permissions the file also fixes the problem.

Can anyone explain why this is happening and what resolution i can try? (I want to try to resolve the issue rather than adding a step to delete the file) This occurs on both x32 and x64 environments. I've also experienced the issue when deploying the same package to an existing Windows 7 machine that's already in use by a user. After the installation and reboot, the existing user can log on however no new users would be able to.

Deploying an uncustomised IE does not cause this problem.

Thanks,

Doug

3 answers to this question

Hm i just found a similare problem with the customer im working at atm..

I created a customized IE9 installation with IEAK. Everything seems good, TS is running fine etc..All is fine until a user tries to logon.. then they recive:

The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

And they are then thrown back out to ctrl-alt-del

Problem was solved by removing the customized IEAK9 package and deploying a new clean package..