kingshillbilly

Failed to Run Task Sequence - Plz Help

Good morning everyone! I have been following the installation guides for SCCM 2012 (Amazing work by the way!) I have been stuck on step 7 Build and capture for about a week now... I am about ready to go to the datacenter and stick a grenade inside one of the racks!

I have worked through most of my issues (IP Helpers, Subnets/Sites properly registered in AD etc) but I am just simply STUCK at this error:

WinPE loads up, formats the hard drive and then goes to "Apply Operating System" after about 30 seconds to a minute, I get a popup that says - Task Sequence Wizard - Failed to Run Task Sequence - An error occurred while starting the task sequence (0x80070002). For more information, contact your system administrator or helpdesk operator.

Ugh... I have gone through and redid everything I cant tell you how many times. I also tried for the heck of it loading up a 7x32 installer to try. AND I even tried to give everyone full control of the \\sccm\sources just in case that was the issue...

Any ideas? THANK YOU in advance for your help

There is no smsts.log file on the server

Edit: I booted up the machine being deployed to with Ubuntu to look at the drive to see if there was anything on it yet. It is blank - zilch nada on it, so it is not getting past the partition/format part of the sequence

I also have tried this with a physical system and a VMware virtual system - on two different subnets as welll

Hello,

I've encountered the same on SCCM 2012 R2 but this was caused by me :( .

I've copied and pasted a task sequence, changed the image file and forgot to uncheck the option " Access content directly from the distribution point ". The previous image was shared but the current one wasn't.

there is always a SMSTS log on the computer.. check inside the c:\_SMSTaskSequence\Logs

Thats where it is when the task sequence aborted/failed.

If the TaskSequence is correctly executed, that folder will either be gone or contain nothing.
then you can find logs in c:\windows\ccm