anyweb

how can I configure SCCM 2007 in Windows Server 2008 - Part 2

You shouldn't use SMSDIRECTORYLOOKUP=NOWINS when your AD is not extended.

Take a look here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680985.aspx

"Configure client computers to use Active Directory Only mode The most secure option for client configuration is SMSDIRECTORYLOOKUP=NoWINS, however it can be used only if your clients can query the global catalog so it should not be used for clients in remote forests or workgroups, or if Active Directory schema has not been extended. If clients must use WINS for service location and SMSDIRECTORYLOOKUP=NoWINS, then service location will fail. For more information, see Configuration Manager and Service Location (Site Information and Management Points). If no properties are specified, the client installs in Secure WINS mode. The Any WINS mode is not secure and is not recommended. For more information, see About Configuration Manager Client Installation Properties."

Hi,

You shouldn't use SMSDIRECTORYLOOKUP=NOWINS when your AD is not extended.

Take a look here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680985.aspx

Thanks it really didn't work with this setting, I think best would be to publish the MP to DNS when there is no AD extension installed.

Maybe anyweb could add a hint to the guide here for others with no AD extension installed.

I've fixed my WINS and published the MP to DNS and now my problem with the client site communication failing from this post has been fixed.

The advertised software still doesn't work, but I will investigate further and open a new Post like you suggested if I can't get it to work.

Thanks

- When using AD Sites and Services for your boundaries, please verify those are correctly installed and the ranges are properly defined. Otherwise the publishing of the site in Active Directory Domain Services as described in step 3 will work, but the clients will not find their site.

I was having errors on the SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER. I had to actually go to C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config\schema and edit my WebDAV_schema.xml and change to the following:

<element name="fileSystem">

<attribute name="allowHiddenFiles" type="bool" defaultValue="true" />

<attribute name="useTransactionalIo" type="bool" defaultValue="false" />

<attribute name="hideChildVirtualDirectories" type="bool" defaultValue="false" />

</element>

<element name="properties">

<attribute name="allowAnonymousPropfind" type="bool" defaultValue="true" />

<attribute name="allowInfinitePropfindDepth" type="bool" defaultValue="true" />

<attribute name="allowCustomProperties" type="bool" defaultValue="false" />

<collection addElement="add" removeElement="remove" clearElement="clear" allowUnrecognizedAttributes="true">

<attribute name="xmlNamespace" type="string" isUniqueKey="true" required="true" validationType="nonEmptyString" />

<attribute name="propertyStore" type="string" required="true" validationType="nonEmptyString" />

</collection>

</element>

It didn't save it otherwise, doing it through IIS. After doing this I restarted IIS, and after about 5 min my SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER status went green.

I'm having a problem. I just installed SCCM2007 on my Windows Server 2008 R2 box and everything installed right except for the SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER. I have double and triple checked WebDAV and it's configured properly, as is the C:\windows\system32\inetsrv\config\schema\WebDAV_Schema.xml file, however when I go into the ConfigMgr Service Manager and attempt to query the SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER component, I get the following error 'Error communicating with component.'

Any idea what to do??

UPDATE: in my MPSetup.log file the only error I see is 'Failed to get WebDAV settings on the machine'

UPDATE: I don't know what was wrong, but I ended up removing SCCM, WSUS, WebDAV, IIS and reinstalling all from scratch and everything seems to be working properly now