rcb1023

Deploying XP SP1a

Question

Hello all,

I'm using SCCM 2007 SP2 to do some test deploying of Windows XP SP1a to a Dell SX270 desktop machine. I've successefully deployed this package (minus the driver which I'll discuss in a minute) to a vmware virtual machine. For the, the package deploys and it does finish the installation of XP and seems to get to the point of bringing up the logon screen for windows, but it goes to blue screen with the mouse icon there that you can move around, but it doesn't respond to any keyboard pressing. I can restart the machine and it does come back up to the windows login screen, but it has not been added to the domain like the package was supposed to do. I am almost 100% positive that it has to do with the fact that XP SP1a does not have a compatibly network driver for the network card in the SX270 machine. In fact there is no network adapter under network connections when logging into XP. I've tried incorporating the driver by importing it into the SCCM 2007 driver library and also added it to the task sequence as a software package install, but still ending up with the same result. How do I get the driver to install in time for windows to use it when it needs during the installation?

I would also like the package to go ahead and install XP SP3 while it's doing the deploy if you wouldn't mind giving advice on that as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

7 answers to this question

After much further testing I have found the following, but stil no luck in getting the machine to install. I've tried several different options on the network driver thinking it was the main issue, but it looks like it may be related to this. When I view the pnplog.txt file when the installation hangs at 34 minutes (which it always hangs at 34 minutes, and sorry I did not mention that before) and it lists these devices as windows having issues with:

[EnumeratedDevices]

USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&17b52014&0=USB Root Hub

PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4&35a02b9b&0&0=Primary IDE Channel

PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4&35a02b9b&0&1=Secondary IDE Channel

I have downloaded a generic usb 2.0 driver and also went as far as pulling all drivers off of another machine with the exact same hardware configuration as this one and imported those into the driver library, and this issue is still occuring. Is it possible that this is what is throwing a wrench in the osd deployment process since the machine is having to be restarted at 34 minutes? How can make sure windows recognizes and uses these drivers?

Please help!

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm pulling my hair out at this point. I've even tried capturing the operating system image from a working machine, but it locked up during the capturing process, so it seems like anyway I go I'm running into problems. Please give me any suggestions you have even if it means completely starting over and going a different route....

Thanks.

Thanks, but at the moment I feel I am stuck in this position. The desktops we have are 7 years old that was the operating system that came with them at the time. We are trying to use these as long as possible to cut down on costs. The systems are experiencing major slowdowns and I would like to re-install them as this seems to give the system a good fresh start and greatly improves the performance. So to do this it needs to be simple quick process (as little steps as possible). Unless I'm mistaken, I didn't think I could use the licensce key I had for the SP1a install on an SP3 install, can I?

Well I created a new task sequence with the SP3 install, but now the deployment cant find the distribution that is associated to the operating system install package. i've checked and double checked that it is there. Any ideas on how I could check to make sure the distribution point is working correctly?

Thanks for all your help.