anyweb

using SCCM 2012 RC in a LAB - Part 14. Performing a side-by-side Migration from Configuration Manager 2007

Hello,

i was trying to Migrate from SCCM 2007 SP2 to SCCM 2012 RC2.

The environment is build up with a Domain Controller, SQL Server 2008 SP2 CU 7. The 2007 Database runs on the same machine under a SQL Server 2008 SP2 instance.

The 2007 environment is a cloned productive environment without the secondary sites connected to the primary site. Should I deinstall all secondary sites which are not connected to the test environment?

When i was trying to define the Source Hierarchy the gathering process starts and stop with a error message.

This are the error messages from migmctrl:

WARNING: [Worker]: This site (version:4.0.6487.800) does not support ImportedObject, the minimum version to support this is 5.0.7338.0 SMS_MIGRATION_MANAGER 29.02.2012 14:26:44 3972 (0x0F84)

ERROR: [Worker]: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of user-defined routine or aggregate "fnSCCMMultiByteToWideChar": System.ArgumentException: Culture ID 16528 (0x4090) is not a supported culture. Parameter name: culture System.ArgumentException: at System.Globalization.CultureTableRecord.GetCultureTableRecord(Int32 cultureId, Boolean useUserOverride) at System.Globalization.CultureInfo..ctor(Int32 culture, Boolean useUserOverride) at Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SQLCLR.SMSUtil.Utility_DBCSToWideChar(SqlInt32 lcid, SqlBinary multiBytes) . at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.HasMoreRows() at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ReadInternal(Boolean setTimeout) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.ReadFromRowSource() at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.WriteToServerInternal() at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.WriteRowSourceToServer(Int32 columnCount) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.WriteToServer(IDataReader reader) at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.MigrationManager.MigrationRepository.BulkCopyDataAndGetResult[T](Snapshot snapshot, SqlDataReader dataReader, Dictionary`2 parameters, Int64& total, Func`2 result, Boolean doNotDrop) at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.MigrationManager.MigrationRepository.BulkCopyData[T](Snapshot snapshot, SqlDataReader dataReader, Dictionary`2 parameters, Int64& total, Func`2 result, Boolean doNotDrop) at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.MigrationManager.MigrationRepository.BulkCopyData[T](Snapshot snapshot, SqlDataReader dataReader, Dictionary`2 parameters, Int64& total, Func`2 result) at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.MigrationManager.SyncAgentJob.<SyncObjectsInformation>d__25.MoveNext() SMS_MIGRATION_MANAGER 29.02.2012 14:26:53 3972 (0x0F84)

ERROR: [Worker]: Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.Migration.MigrationException: 1 exceptions occurred during syncing. at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.MigrationManager.SyncAgentJob.<get_ExecutionPlan>d__7.MoveNext() at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.MigrationManager.Job`1.ExecuteNext() SMS_MIGRATION_MANAGER 29.02.2012 14:27:05 3972 (0x0F84)

ERROR: [MigMCtrl]: FAILED to EXECUTE job. error = Unknown error 0x80131500, 80131500 SMS_MIGRATION_MANAGER 29.02.2012 14:27:05 3972 (0x0F84)

ERROR: [MigMCtrl]: FAILED to EXECUTE job. error = Unknown error 0x80131500, 80131500 SMS_MIGRATION_MANAGER 29.02.2012 14:27:05 3972 (0x0F84)

Any help would be appreciated.

kind regards

Christopher

Thanks for the nice set of migration info. I've depended on this site for making my SCCM 2007 experience as pleasant as possible. Happy to see that I can continue to do that with SCCM 2012.

The logistics of actually doing the migration seem to be moderately complex. Or, I'm totally misunderstanding some of the issues. Since we are getting ready to bring up SCCM 2012, I'd like to understand the issue with boundaries and some of the timing issues for migration.

From above it appears that SCCM 2012 and SCCM 2007, running in parallel at the same time, must either have different boundaries, or as you migrate over collections/computers to SCCM 2012, that are in a particular boundary (say subnets), you have to remove that boundary from the SCCM 2007 server.

So, is this how it has to go?

1. Bring up SCCM 2012 and configure. Place it on a subnet that is NOT part of the SCCM 2007 boundaries.

2. Test the SCCM 2012 setup to make sure it works. Will need to create a SCCM 2012 boundary (and place in a boundary group) that is NOT contained in any of the SCCM 2007 boundaries. So, a different subnet.

3. Migrate over some advertisements/packages and test SCCM 2012 software distribution of those packages to some test machines in the new boundary group. Or, I guess you could also create some new applications and advertisements.

4. Once you are happy with the new SCCM 2012 service, start the migration in earnest.

Note - Here is where I get a little confused over the sequence and timing.

5. Migrate over from SCCM 2007 a collection of computers that are all in a specific boundary/subnet. I'm assuming that you would need to then remove that boundary from SCCM 2007 and add a new boundary to SCCM 2012 that would comprise the subnet(s) for the computers that were in the collection you migrated. Not sure about the sequence of what you do first.

6. Once the boundary is in place in SCCM 2012 (and removed from SCCM 2007), you install the new SCCM 2012 client on all the computers that are now in the boundary (and a collection) that is part of SCCM 2012. Once that is done you can proceed to do your normal software distributions to those computers from SCCM 2012.

7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for the rest of your boundaries and computers in SCCM 2007 until all computers have been migrated.

8. At the end of all this, SCCM 2007 should not have any boundaries configure on it.

Note that I'm a little perplexed about the new SCCM 2012 site code. It has to be different that the site code used by SCCM 2007. But, isn't that site code info stored up in Active Directory (and possibly in DNS and WINS)? So, when/how to change the site code info on Active Directory?

And once that information is changed (in order to be able to install the new client on all the migrated computers), won't that mean that you will lose the ability to install the client on any remaining SCCM 2007 boundaries?

Hmmm. Does that mean you need to migrate all computers in the organization at the same time, remove all the boundaries from SCCM 2007, change the site code info in AD, and then install the new SCCM 2012 client on all computers at the same time? Sorta seems that way.

If anyone can shed any light on the above questions, it would really help me out.

Thanks,

Geoff Weatherford

CSU/CVMBS

A short Update on the problem.

The following procedure did the trick. https://connect.micr...ource-hierarchy

I delete the affected column manually in the sccm 2007 database. The automatic cleanup task didn't recognize the column.

Can someone help please - I have this same problem when trying to gather data but the link posted above does not work for me.

I get an error while gathering data from my 2007 site.

The migmctrl.log says this:

ERROR: [Worker]: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of user-defined routine or aggregate "fnSCCMMultiByteToWideChar": System.ArgumentException: Culture ID 1252 (0x04E4) is not a supported culture. Parameter name: culture System.ArgumentException: at System.Globalization.CultureTableRecord.GetCultureTableRecord(Int32 cultureId, Boolean useUserOverride) at System.Globalization.CultureInfo..ctor(Int32 culture, Boolean useUserOverride) at Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SQLCLR.SMSUtil.Utility_DBCSToWideChar(SqlInt32 lcid, SqlBinary multiBytes) . at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.HasMoreRows() at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ReadInternal(Boolean setTimeout) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.ReadFromRowSource() at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.WriteToServerInternal() at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.WriteRowSourceToServer(Int32 columnCount) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.WriteToServer(IDataReader reader) at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.MigrationManager.MigrationRepository.BulkCopyDataAndGetResult[T](Snapshot snapshot, SqlDataReader dataReader, Dictionary`2 parameters, Int64& total, Func`2 result, Boolean doNotDrop) at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.MigrationManager.MigrationRepository.BulkCopyData[T](Snapshot snapshot, SqlDataReader dataReader, Dictionary`2 parameters, Int64& total, Func`2 result, Boolean doNotDrop) at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.MigrationManager.MigrationRepository.BulkCopyData[T](Snapshot snapshot, SqlDataReader dataReader, Dictionary`2 parameters, Int64& total, Func`2 result) at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.MigrationManager.SyncAgentJob.<SyncObjectsInformation>d__25.MoveNext()

ERROR: [Worker]: Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.Migration.MigrationException: 1 exceptions occurred during syncing. at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.MigrationManager.SyncAgentJob.<get_ExecutionPlan>d__7.MoveNext() at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.MigrationManager.Job`1.ExecuteNext()

ERROR: [MigMCtrl]: FAILED to EXECUTE job. error = Unknown error 0x80131500, 80131500

Any ideas???

thanks,

Jay

as per my post above

You cannot upgrade from SMS 2003 to Configuration Manager 2012, the only supported method is to migrate from SMS 2003 to Configuration Manager 2007 (in-place or side-by-side) and then perform a side-by-side migration to Configuration Manager 2012. Or, you could call it a day on SMS 2003 and start fresh with Configuration Manager 2012.