anyweb

using SCCM 2012 RC in a LAB - Part 14. Performing a side-by-side Migration from Configuration Manager 2007

First I would like to say your documentation is awesome. I've used them several times and have referred clients to them.

Second is the issue: You have a troubleshooting screen at the end of the post showing the logfile for migctrl.log. Our log log looks just like that and none of our collections will migrate. We have been able to migrate the security updates, software packages, software metering, CI and Task Sequence but everytime we try to do collections we fail. any suggestions to where to start looking.

Hi All,

Pls help

If I have 3 Primary Sites and 1 CAS in SCCM 2007 Hierarchy, then what is the procedure need to follow to migrate the objects to SCCM 2012??

I need to Migrate from CAS or I need to Migrate the data from all the primary site servers separately???

Pls help

Question for the slow kid please. I just want to confirm if possible that the 2007 DP holding all my packages, etc. will house all the migrated objects and collection data until the 2007 DP is upgraded at which time my 2012 DP will become primary. (As stated here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/4f4c9d45-37af-4540-b6c0-3f48ae55ae61#About_Shared_DPs_in_Migration ) The reason for my concern is my 2007 DP storage space is slowly dwindling as I migrate and my 2012 storage hasn't moved.

Pretty surprised there has been no response. Another newb question I have is what is the final step in the migration process? Is it updating the shared distribution point? Does upgrading it upgrade and move all contents to the 2012 DP location? Is there any post migration checks I need to do before shutting down my old physical server? Thanks the site and forum, they are a huge help!

All,

I have a few questions about the side by side migration, and what I have tested on.

I have built a lab (lab.local)

I have a DC (dhcp,dns) 2008 R2

I have an sccm 2007 SP2 R3 single server 2008 r2 (sql local)

The sccm 2007 works, it can capture, build and patch as part of the build process.

It can also distribute software (flash for example) These have been tested as OK.

I then thought I would play with the migration tool in sccm 2012 r2

I have also built an sccm 2012 r2 server (2008r2 - sql local)

Did not configure anything on the box (as yet)

I set up a source hierarchy, and done a few test migrations of collections, Applications, boundaries etc.

It all seems good and appears in the new sccm 2012 server console.

HOWEVER !

I also migrated my test Flash package, this again, seemed to work, however I am aware the package source still points to the sccm 2007 server, when looking at it on the sccm 2012 box.

IF I was to decommission the SCCM 2007 box, the flash source file would go with it.

Do I need to copy the packages share to the new sccm 2012 r2 server and manually change the package source ? then redistribute ?

I will continue to play this evening, but anyones experience or clarification would help me clearer understand any further post migration tasks that I am missing.

Thanks and regards in advance.

You indeed have to "manually" adjust the package source directory. If you are using local path(s) it's a simple copy action, if you are using network share it might involve changing all packages. For the last scenario, there are multiple scripts are the community, but this one is probably the simplest to use; http://blog.coretech.dk/kea/updated-version-of-the-package-source-changer/

Thanks for the info peter, and i apologise for the double post. I was not sure where to post as this area looked Like it has not been visited for a while. Feel free to delete the other post to keep it clean.

Ok so i played some more this evening, that coretech util is excellent. I could change my package source using it. Nice and useful for when you have loads of packages.

I migrated my osd images, ts, boot etc. these again appeared in the new sccm 2012 environment, but all files and source location entries relating to them still point to the sccm 2007 server. Nothing errors. All says complete.

Am i missing something here, does a migration just copy the entries across but not the files?

This is similar to the package source issue really.... Or is this the way it works.