Brendant

Sysprep Fails with Fatal Error

Question

I've just tried to sysprep a Windows 7 machine so i can capture it and put it into my SCCM enironment however when i attempt the sysprep generalize it comes back with "A fatal error occurred while trying to sysprep the machine" I'm wondering if there is anyway to fix this issue or will i have to rebuild the machine?

I have an original Acronis image of the machine and i attempted redploying it but the same issue still occurs. I've also followed some advice about disabling the Windows SideShow from within local group policy but the issue is still occuring, any ideas?

-Brendan

2 answers to this question

One of the most common causes for this error is the Windows Media Player Network service. To stop this service before running sysprep, click on the start button and type services.msc. This will open the services window. Find the “Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service” and double click on it. Stop the service and try sysprep again.

(This conversation is my reference: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/8f5002e1-95b4-47bf-b031-4b72b3eb388a)

If it still fails, please check the setuperr.log file in the sysprep folder to see what problem was reported.

David

Windows Outreach Team - IT Pro

www.microsoft.com/springboard