jkeck

Capturing question

Question

Hello, love the site, lots of good information....

Firstly, I'm new to SCCM 2007 and I've been tasked with deploying Win 7 Pro across our company to the remote sites of which there are many.

I work in our corporate offices and have been installing/upgrading our users to Windows 7 as machines are replaced. I used WAIK to create a bootable UFD and have been using that to install a custom WIM that I created and captured using Win7's native sysprep. My custom .WIM files contain user/role-specific software packages. I have multiple installs based on departmental requirements and some of them even use the unattended.xml files to configure the machine with very little hands-on work.

My question: Is capturing a 7 Pro image using SCCM a requirement for being able to deploy 7 Pro?

4 answers to this question

okay, so then i guess i'm a little confused as to how the tutorial would change for someone who already has a customized .wim file that is ready to be deployed. I was reading the tutorial at http://www.windows-n...ploy-windows-7/ and trying to figure out where the process would ultimately differ... if i copy the files that i'm currently using to install windows 7 pro manually, then all the files i would want to distribute/deploy would be included in that folder.

Is there a tutorial of how to create a deployment of Windows 7 using just the standard default OS files that would have been included on an original install dvd or in the iso that i can get from Microsoft?

having to spend the extra time to configure SCCM to capture a pc when i already have a custom .wim is me duplicating some of the work i've aleady done.

maybe i'm not being clear enough with my question, let me try again.

Here's what I've done so far...

1. I loaded windows 7 pro sp1 onto a test computer.

2. I configured it with all the custom software, applications, drivers, etc.

3. I used to sysprep to create a generalized OOBE image and then I captured a customized .wim file with imagex.

4. I created a bootable Flash drive and copied all the same files and folders found in the original Windows 7 Pro SP1 ISO to the flash drive and overwrote the original install.wim file with the customized one i captured in #3 above.

5. I have been installing Windows 7 Pro SP1 using this flash drive system successfully for several months now... but now i need to begin deploying Win7 on a larger scale and to remote sites in our network.

I feel like building another machine and capturing the system with SCCM is a duplication of work that i've already done, i have been trying to wrap my head around how the deployment process/tutorial would change (the one found here http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/667-deploy-windows-7/ ) if i were to create everything using the installation files that I am already using.

I've searched the web for OS deployment tutorials using SCCM2007 and almost every single one includes steps for building a machine and capturing the image with SCCM, but in my case, i have already done this. maybe i'm missing some key step, or I'm ignorant to what's actually at play in the build/capture process, but I clearly need some more direction. I was hoping to find this in your forums. I just dont understand how doing the same thing twice makes anything 'easier'.

When you've got your WIM file already you can continue with part two here: http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1169-deploy-windows-7/

One of the reason the use a build and capture is to prevent all the manual work you are doing now to configure your WIM...