clivebuckwheat

Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 with SCCM. Help required please.

Question

I got my unattended silent install of elements working fine using

Setup.exe /UL1033 /V"SERIALNUMBER=XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

BUT

SCCM and it reports a failure, even though it installs successfully, on 42 pc's. I initally thought it didn't install at all. I was wrong.

The error I get in config manager is

The Program for advertisement "DAW2005E" failed ("DAW00038" - "Per-System Unattended"). A failure exit code of 255 was returned. User context: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Possible cause: Systems Management Server (SMS) determines status for each program it executes. If SMS cannot find or correlate any installation status Management Information Format (MIF) files for the program, it uses the program's exit code to determine status. An exit code of 255 is considered a failure. Solution: For more information on the exit code, refer to the documentation for the program you are distributing.

I believe it is because the the results code that all Adobe products issue, after an install is there a way to suppress the results code?

5 answers to this question

Yes, there are some workarunds for issues like that. Either run the setup from a task sequence command line, and add the exit code 255 to the success codes in there, or use a vbscript wrapper to convert the exit code 255 to 0.

Thanks Peter, can you tell me how to add the exit code 255 to the success codes?, what do you mean use a vbscript wrapper?

If you create a custom task sequence, you can add a 'run command line' step. In ther you can chose the package path and place the setup line in the command window. The options tab of the command line step has a list of success codes, that can be expanded. Just add 255 to the string.

A script wrapper would look like this in your case. Save it as vbscript file in your package source, and replace the installation command by 'cscript scriptname.vbs'.

Set sho = Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

strCommand = "Setup.exe /UL1033 /V'SERIALNUMBER=XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX'"

intRet = sho.run(strCommand,0,True)

If intRet = 3010 Or intRet = 255 Then

intRet = 0

End If

wscript.quit(intRet)

If you create a custom task sequence, you can add a 'run command line' step. In ther you can chose the package path and place the setup line in the command window. The options tab of the command line step has a list of success codes, that can be expanded. Just add 255 to the string.

A script wrapper would look like this in your case. Save it as vbscript file in your package source, and replace the installation command by 'cscript scriptname.vbs'.

Set sho = Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

strCommand = "Setup.exe /UL1033 /V'SERIALNUMBER=XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX'"

intRet = sho.run(strCommand,0,True)

If intRet = 3010 Or intRet = 255 Then

intRet = 0

End If

wscript.quit(intRet)

perfect perfect perfect!!!. Thank you!! it worked like a champ. Sccm now reports SUCCESS. Even from a distribute straight from the package, no TS.