Dietmar

How can I setup a Distribution Point in ConfigMgr 2012 on a Windows 7 computer?

the site code is a drop down field and allows you to assign this site server to a site (a primary site for example), so if you have one primary site server with site code P01 then this dp which is a site server will be assigned to that primary site...

read my earlier comment about site code above, short answer=no.

they will use the nearest distribution point based on boundaries that you define. The smsts.log file will reveal this on the client

I don't see a smsts.log file on the client, at least not in c:\windows\ccm\logs. Where should it be?

When assigning a boundary group to my remote site, should I check the box for "Use this boundary group for site assignment"? If so, should I select my main site?

When assigning a boundary group to my remote site, should I check the box for "Use this boundary group for site assignment"? If so, should I select my main site?

no, this is a DP it's not used for assigning sites it's only used for Content. So what you do is add this dp to a boundary group, the boundary group in turn has one or more boundaries. to do so right click on a boundary group that you've already made, if it has no boundaries add one

ireland group boundaries.png

then click on the references tab and add your site system server that hosts the DP in question

references.png

and click apply, this means that clients that fall into that boundary will get their content from that dp unless you've specified Allow fallback source locations for content in your distribution points Boundary Groups tab.

allow fallback.png

Thanks. Going this method, how often will clients communicate with my main site server? How much bandwidth would it us? How do I have the computers are the remote sites use my remote site server when it installs the SCCM client? I have it set up to push the install out now and it looks like it uses the sms_<site code> share, which doesn't exist on my remote site server.

Also, how does installing the management point role on the remote site server effect all of this?

Sorry for the repeat questions and such, I just want to make sure I fully understand this before I go to my boss.