GeoffW

Confused about SCCM 2012 and all the other System Center apps

Hopefully someone can help a confused current user of SCCM 2007.

So, we currently use SCCM 2007. Great product that is actually made usable by sites such as this with all the guides. Much appreciated.

Our current plan was to install SCSM 2010 and integrate it with SCCM 2007. But, we are being pressured to jump into SCCM 2012 by another group.

I have three questions:

1. If we are going to make the jump to SCSM, should we just go straight to SCSM 2012 and skip SCSM 2010?

2. Since you need to integrate SCSM with SCCM, if we go to SCSM 2012 should we, at the same time, make the move/migrate to SCCM 2012? I'm a little concerned about creating additional work by integrating SCSM 2012 with SCCM 2007. Then later having to "break" that integration when we migrate SCCM 2007 to SCCM 2012.

Seems like a lot less headache to do the following:

a. Migrate SCCM 2007 to SCCM 2012.

b. Then setup SCSM 2012 (and do the integration with SCCM 2012).

3. I'm confused about how all the System Center packages are being released. According to this Microsoft site, you purchase all of the System Center family in one package http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/SystemCenter2012.aspx#tab=3

Is that really what is required? If so, do you just pick and choose what you want to install afterwards?

Or, can you purchase all the pieces separately (like was done with SCCM 2007, SCSM 2010, etc.)?

Their "cloud" marketing is making my head ache : )

Thanks for any and all advice.

GeoffW

CSU

You somewhat answered your own question in 2a / 2b. :) You'll need to assess the requirements to move to newer versions, but I agree, it's simpler to have done your migration from ConfigMgr 2007 to System Center 2012 Configuration Manager first - then do the Service Manager integration. Probably worth having more communication with the other team about how to coordinate migrations and integration so that you all get moved over quickly, but don't create too much extra work for either team.

I'm not sure what the licensing or purchasing options are, but I do know that each product maintains its own installer, so you even if you did decide to purchase the entire System Center 2012 product, you can still install each component separately as needed.

Dave