itguru1982

SCCM OSD image updating and capture advice

Hi,

We are currently using SCCM 2007 R3 and the way that we use OSD is to create a virtual machine, build Windows 7 Enterprise on it, run all windows updates, install office 2010 and a few other utils that are standard to our builds and then capture it and run other programs (like Google Chrome etc..) from a task sequence.

However, from time to time we need to update our base WIM file images, so what we do is to deploy the standard image (minus the task sequence programs) and then update the image, then re-capture it using the capture ISO. We then re-add the image on our server and go from there.

This is not ideal as I believe that you can our capture a win 7 machine 3 times? so, after that, if we try and capture an image, it fails and we have to build an image from scratch again.

I know there are other ways around this like snapshot our image once complete before capturing and then use that to update, or just having a windows 7 base image and deploy all software in the task sequence but I was wondering if there was any other advice anyone could give us about the best ways to update our windows images?

Note that this is not just windows updates, but Autodesk DWG Trueview updates, java updates, flash updates etc...

Thanks for your help in advance!