jazzlara

USMT Confusion

Im very new to SCCM in general, but have worked a lot with MDT. In MDT I can browse to the litetouch.vbs and kick off a TS from within Windows, which would allow me to do a USMT of the source PC. Then in the MDT TS on the destination PC I would simply point to the USMT network location of the source PC's USMT file. Done, Next.

In SCCM 2012, I followed the great documentation on this site to setup TS's, packages, etc... but when I PXE boot and run my TS (USMT is in the DP) it completly skips the USMT part of it and starts formatting/installing Windows. I tried playing with the settings in the TS under Capture User Files and Settings to no avail. ..Like using VSS or file copy.

Is there something I'm missing? Can you or do you have to run a SCCM TS from within Windows to utilize USMT? From what I'm assuming all of this is done in PE. If that is correct assumption, does this also hold true when migrating XP to 7?

I just now integrated MDT into SCCM so maybe thats part of my answer?

Im guess I'm trying to figure out how to work with USMT on the back and restore sides, and doing so when I do a replace or refresh TS.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thx

B

If you are doing a migration to network location you need to have a State Migration Point and you need to create an association between the source and destination machine.

When you are running a standard Task Sequence, then the default settings for the capture -part is to run in FullOS (if I'am not mistaken, don't have my testenvironment around).

Thanks. How would i kick off the TS from within the OS?

Also, what if I just want to refresh the current PC? do I have to create an association from itself to itself?

I tried creating a USMT capture user state only TS and it failed (it was running in PE) with error 80004005. Is this because its being run in the PE environment?

So im an idiot. you can kick them off in the Software Center on the client.

However I am now getting error 80004005 when running the Replace Task Sequence during the user state phase:

LOG[!sVolumeID.empty(), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\framework\tscore\resolvesource.cpp,477)]LOG]!><time="17:19:00.364+360" date="02-19-2012" component="TSManager" context="" type="0" thread="1372" file="resolvesource.cpp:477">

<![LOG

Any Ideas?

Thanks. That makes sense, so what I've done is create an MDT Replace TS from SCCM but it keeps failing on the capture state part. A normal std client install TS works perfect. do i have to put in the backup share or something in the CustomSettings.ini file or something? Again, I've always worked with MDT....now that I've integrated it into SCCM Im not sure what controls what.

Do I have to put the backup location in the CS.ini file? ...or what controls where the USMT should back up to?

ALSO

It looks like when installing Windows 7, its putting it on the E drive. I dont see any reference in the TS for an E drive. Stuck again. Maybe this is part of the problem?