adminsmk

Prompt for Computer Name Sysprep

Question

Hello, Anyone really figure out during Windows 7 sysprep to be prompted for a computer name and have it join your domain? I can have the machine stop and prompt for machine name but won't join domain. I used My Sysprep Tool, but don't trust it and typing in your password is in clear text, but it does work.

I have tried to delete the line from the xml file but still doesn't prompt for computer name.

Anyone have a working XML file to stop and ask for computer name then join it to the domain, while syspreping ?

5 answers to this question

All our PC's are joined to a domain at my work. I used Windows XP Sysprep it was really easy to have Sysprep stop and ask you for a computer name then prompt you for domain credentials. I have been reading all the forums and everyone states delete the <computerName> </computername> line from the XML file but that doesn't work. I think I might just go for the approach have the machine stop ask me for the computer name, it won't be joined to the domain at this time. Then create a Auto login account and run a VBS script to run Netdom to join the PC to the Domain, two steps but I think it will accomplish the goal, not as easy as Windows XP.

I’m assuming you want to incorporate domain joining into your unattended installation for use with imaging and deployment. The process for joining a machine to a domain during an unattended installation is very different in Windows 7 than it used to be with Windows XP. There is a great library article on the TechNet site here that explains the entire process.

An example of a working XML file joining the domain can be found on the TechNet forums here as posted by George Khalil and marked as best answer. You also might want to consider the use of the Windows System Image Manager (WSIM). WSIM might come in very handy for you as it streamlines the process of creating XML files.

Jessica

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Add UnattendJoin component to your Specialize pass, like so :

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-UnattendedJoin" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<Identification>

<Credentials>

<Domain>domain.com</Domain>

<Password>yourpassword</Password>

<Username>yourusername</Username>

</Credentials>

<JoinDomain>domain.com</JoinDomain>

<UnsecureJoin>false</UnsecureJoin>

</Identification>

</component>

This is for my own, x64 build. Ammend to x32 if your unattend is for a 32bit system.

Based on your post, it seems you have the Computer Name prompting all worked out. Be warned, I have not heard of Computer Name prompting and Domain Join to BOTH work using unattend.xml (you will see trust errors). You will need to chose which to include in the unattend, then script out the other to perform after mini-setup. If possible for your environment, you can have unattend.xml generate a semi-random name, AND Domain Join.

Setting the "RegisteredOwner" and/or "RegisteredOrganization", in conjunction with adding a * to the "ComputerName" are important for this to work.

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile>

<TimeZone>Central Standard Time</TimeZone>

<RegisteredOrganization>YourCompany</RegisteredOrganization>

<RegisteredOwner>Someone</RegisteredOwner>

<ShowWindowsLive>false</ShowWindowsLive>

<ComputerName>*</ComputerName>

</component>

Unattend.xml will pull 7 characters from the registered owner then the registered organization until there are 7 characters, then adds a dash and random characters to make a total of 15.

Example from above would "randomly" generate this computername:

someone-2618273 (random arrangement of numerals)

This WILL work along side the UnattenJoin component without errors.