anyweb

How can I capture an image using capture media in ConfigMgr 2012

So this has been just a real treat. I'm attaching the log for the failed capture, but here is an interesting bit.

<![LOG[Failed to install boot sector. C:\_SMSTaskSequence\WinPE\SMS\bin\i386\bootsect.exe /NT60 SYS /MBR failed (1)

stdout:

This tool can only be run on systems booted using a PC/AT BIOS. This systemwas booted using EFI or some other firmware type.

stderr:

]LOG]!><time="17:41:25.149+360" date="09-13-2012" component="TSManager" context="" type="3" thread="2596" file="bootsector.cpp:83">

<![LOG[Failed to install boot image.

Unspecified error (Error: 80004005; Source: Windows)]LOG]!><time="17:41:25.149+360" date="09-13-2012" component="TSManager" context="" type="3" thread="2596" file="bootimage.cpp:646">

<![LOG[Failed to install boot image CCM0001A.

Unspecified error (Error: 80004005; Source: Windows)]LOG]!><time="17:41:25.149+360" date="09-13-2012" component="TSManager" context="" type="3" thread="2596" file="engine.cxx:826">

<![LOG[Failed to reboot the system. Error 0x(80004005)]LOG]!><time="17:41:25.149+360" date="09-13-2012" component="TSManager" context="" type="3" thread="2596" file="engine.cxx:939">

This is the part where everything starts to go pear shaped.

Any help would be superb.

Anyone had a crack at this one yet?

Today I'm going to try booting from "Legacy" mode on the Alienware, installing the OS and try the capture again.

Everything I have read to this point had said DO NOT install the ccm client, but these instructions say you should. So, I am going to try that now. We'll see, I guess.

Apparently it is bad idea to install and capture an OS with client on it because of it's unique identifier...but sure it is going to get overwritten with a new client at OSD time anyway at the setup configuration time!!

When exactly does it bomb out on you??

Have you tried to push out an OS to this alienware machine to see if it is successful...rather than trying to capture it unsucessfully....see if it works and if not then it is a driver issue!!

And also could you not install the OS on a VM with custom software if needed and capture this.....package your drivers for your alienware machine and attach to TS...same outcome you'll find as trying to capture the alienware OS...and redeploying it!!

One driver has to be injected into the boot.wim in order for a connection to be made to the share at PXE enviornment time but also in some cases you need to pump in the driver into the OS via a driver package after the OS is installed at apply driver time....I had an awful time with a particular model until I actually added the NIC driver to the boot.wim and also injected it into the OS at apply driver time!!

Edit: Once you injected the drivers into the boot.wim....you have created a new capture ISO and specifying to use the new updated boot.wim I gather???

If not then this could be your problem if you are using a pre-created capture ISO before you injected the driver into the boot.wim!!

Rocket Man

I have tried to push the image to it. It fails, not sure when though.

The VM build up is a good idea and I might try that if my experiment today doesn't work.

I have the NIC drivers as well as the storage drivers in this boot image. I thought you needed both. If I'm capturing don't I already have the drivers for the OS? I'm doing the capture from media, not sure how or why I would need to add drivers to a reference image I am capturing.

I have created so many capture ISOs it's hilarious. I have done what your talking about before though. Now I make sure to create a new one right after I update the DP. I tried to use the USB version, but it won't autorun and I didn't feel like negotiating another bug. So, I've just been burning discs.

In the log it mentions the issue with the BIOS settings. So, I'm hoping changing that from UEFI to Legacy will be the solution.

For those of you following my little saga (palpable silence) the BIOS setting on the alienware was the key. Once I changed the bios setting from UEFI to Legacy and re-built the OS on top, everything else remaining the same, the capture media worked. I have successfully captured the image.

Now...if I can deploy it to another machine....

Thanks for all the comments. They did help. Once again, Niall's most often posted comment "what does the smsts.log say" paid off.

It's been a long frustrating week. All you admins out there have a beer on me.

For those of you following my little saga (palpable silence) the BIOS setting on the alienware was the key. Once I changed the bios setting from UEFI to Legacy and re-built the OS on top, everything else remaining the same, the capture media worked. I have successfully captured the image.

Now...if I can deploy it to another machine....

Thanks for all the comments. They did help. Once again, Niall's most often posted comment "what does the smsts.log say" paid off.

It's been a long frustrating week. All you admins out there have a beer on me.

Can i ask you why you are making the golden image on physical hardware? its mutch easyer, and mutch less hassle to get it to work on a VM. And you really get the minimal ammount of drivers in that golden image.

• Like 1

When trying to create my Capture Media I am unable to select a Distribution Point. What would this be the case and how would I fix that? Thanks.

Ok, I figured it out. I needed to distrubute the boot images to the ditribution point first. in the book System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Unleashed on page 1043 it should tell/remind you to do this but it doesn't.

Hi - Just wondering if this is the process I would use to create a wim file of a fully patched Windows 8 machine in order to use it to create Windows to Go devices on USB? Currently the wim file we get from the WIndows 8 Enterprise install is the base image, and I would like to be able to patch up a Windows 8 machine fully, create a wim file and then use that wim file to create the Windows to Go devices.