anyweb

How can I capture an image using capture media in ConfigMgr 2012

Hello,

I am trying to capture an image from a VM for my golden image to push out to laptops in the company. This is Windows 8.1 Ent with certain applications installed.

I keep getting the error "Task Sequence: Image Capture Wizard has failed with error code (0x00004005)." I have used this VM previously for an image without any error. I created new capture media and ran it again with the same error however this capture media works on a random laptop. Anyone else seen this or know what to do in this instance??

Help is greatly appreciated!

Do any of you use any specific steps or tools to customize the default profile, etc so when you capture that image it has the customizations?

I'm trying out the http://www.bluemoonpcrepair.com/wp/?p=39 to try and capture the default profile. There are just some customizations I would like on this image. Example includes some desktop icons, Picture for user profile, certain items pinned to task bar.

I also need help setting up default profile on Win 8.1. The main thing I need to get working is the start menu tiles--they won't stick. I need the start menu and desktop to look the same for any new user that logs in. I've seen the directions for using copyprofile in sysprep but i can't get it to work. A guide for this would be perfect.

Hello,

I am trying to capture an image from a VM for my golden image to push out to laptops in the company. This is Windows 8.1 Ent with certain applications installed.

I keep getting the error "Task Sequence: Image Capture Wizard has failed with error code (0x00004005)." I have used this VM previously for an image without any error. I created new capture media and ran it again with the same error however this capture media works on a random laptop. Anyone else seen this or know what to do in this instance??

Help is greatly appreciated!

This issue was fixed by removing all Windows 8.1 metro apps that come preinstalled (like weather, games, travel--useless stuff anyway). I am sure as more people start using 8.1, they will come across this issue as well. Here are instructions i used to get past the error.

• Create the machine from scratch (if you are trying to troubleshoot this with an existing image – sorry, it’s a rebuild)
  • Disconnect it from the network / internet connectivity for the install process
  • DO NOT associate it with a Microsoft account at this time – Create a local account.This prevents the Store and ModernApps from updating themselves and breaking SysPrep in this Preview Release.
  • Once at the Desktop, open an administrator privileged PowerShell prompt.
  • Run “Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage” at the PowerShell prompt. This will list all default installed Appx packages (which are installed per user) AND since it it piped to Remote-AppxPackage, it will remove them all.
  • you will get RED errors – this is expected due to dependencies.
  • From the Start Screen, right click and UNINSTALL the xBox music app. This app has dependencies with prevent all AppxPackages from being uninstalled
  • Run “Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage” at the PowerShell prompt again to ensure all have been removed.
  • Connect back to the network / internet once again.
  • DO NOT associate a Microsoft Account for the entire time you are finishing this software install. Leave that for the SysPrep process.

From <http://regularitguy.com/2013/08/05/how-to-fix-sysprep-3-14-error-for-windows-8-1-enterprise/>

• Like 1

Hi,

I just thought I would share my experience with Imaging Windows 8.1.

I found a similar problem with trying to Sysprep Windows 8 and it was to do with the built in apps Windows comes with.

I'm sure the above idea does work, but I haven't tried it my self. (I don't want to discredit the guy or the fix).

The way I found did not require any removal from the domain (other than to TAKE the image). I did NOT need to disconnect from the network. I could do this on a DOMAIN ADMIN account.

• Log in on a new build, as mentioned above. Do what you need to do with it to make it ready for Sysprep
    • DO NOT OPEN ANY OF THE METRO APPS AT ALL ON ANY ACCOUNT. DOING THIS MIGHT CAUSE THE SCRIPT TO FAIL OR SYSPREP
  • Download the scripts from here http://ge.tt/5QSNzQX1?c
  • Run the scripts from PS and they should uninstall. Usually just the V2 will do, but I have ran them both and each one picked up something extra. (I didn't make these scripts, but unfortunatley I cannot remember when I got them from to give credit :( ).
  • You will get red lines (errors) when you run the second one, only because the first one has already removed it, but as I said, I found running them both worked for me anyway

Once you have done this, you should find that the Apps have all been removed and uninstalled.

If you have logged in to ANY other account on this machine, and it has a local profile, you need to delete that profile (the correct way!!) before SysPreping the machine, other wise it will error because the apps will have some kind of cache and Sysprep will not understand what's going on because they aren't meant to actually be present on the machine.

Hope this helps someone at some point :).

Hi,

I have a question abot making a image.

I run a virtual PC on Wmvare that I take an image of, but I have installed Wmvare tools in the virtual PC, should I remove Wmvare tools before deploying image to physical machines? I have made a task sequence that removes the tools, but the wmvare uninstallere also uninstalls a dll that I need. I have tried to copu the dll as part of my deploy task sequence, but it fails (perhaps because it is placed i syswow64)?

Hi,

I'm running win10 64 and I have create a TS to build and capture the OS. During the build and capture, I added 3 steps to install additional software packages. All good, but when I use this WIM and deploy it to a workstation, after installed the OS no further steps are ran - like installing the SCCM agent, adding computer to domain, etc.). I am missing something here?

This issue was fixed by removing all Windows 8.1 metro apps that come preinstalled (like weather, games, travel--useless stuff anyway). I am sure as more people start using 8.1, they will come across this issue as well. Here are instructions i used to get past the error.

• Create the machine from scratch (if you are trying to troubleshoot this with an existing image – sorry, it’s a rebuild)
  • Disconnect it from the network / internet connectivity for the install process
  • DO NOT associate it with a Microsoft account at this time – Create a local account.This prevents the Store and ModernApps from updating themselves and breaking SysPrep in this Preview Release.
  • Once at the Desktop, open an administrator privileged PowerShell prompt.
  • Run “Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage” at the PowerShell prompt. This will list all default installed Appx packages (which are installed per user) AND since it it piped to Remote-AppxPackage, it will remove them all.
  • From the Start Screen, right click and UNINSTALL the xBox music app. This app has dependencies with prevent all AppxPackages from being uninstalled
  • Run “Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage” at the PowerShell prompt again to ensure all have been removed.
  • Connect back to the network / internet once again.
  • DO NOT associate a Microsoft Account for the entire time you are finishing this software install. Leave that for the SysPrep process.

From <http://regularitguy.com/2013/08/05/how-to-fix-sysprep-3-14-error-for-windows-8-1-enterprise/>

Excellent Post! Worked like a charm! Thanks!

Does the media capture on CD still work for Windows 10? Every time I capture it and deploy it the start button and search bar don't work. The PC I captured works after it reboots. Tried different models different versions of Windows 10. I did an automated build and capture and that problem didn't occur. I am thinking it has something to do with the capture because when I deploy it the drivers are still installed. Makes me think there is something wrong with the sysprep maybe? I did upgrade my SCCM before I created the capture media. Any ideas?

-Jared

After the sysprep on the reboot it errors with a Windows PE Initialization failed with error code 0x80220014. This is on a dell 9020m or GX790 and both usb thumb or cd capture media. The same boot image works on both machines via PXE.

Any thoughts?

I'd like to create a powershell script to do the cleanup on the computer before capturing the image. Is there a powershell command that will remove the certificates?

This article is a godsend for me. I have several computer labs that have strange configurations and software that can't be installed using SCCM. So I need to create model computers with all the software installed and the configurations made then take an image and push out the image. With Win7 I've always been able to use Ghost but our version of Ghost won't work with Win8 or 10 and the boss wants to use SCCM in the future.

Thanks very much for a great article.

WD