anyweb

How can I capture an image using capture media in ConfigMgr 2012

Hi guys this is my first post,

My issue is I cant get the Capture Media to work, I have also tried to modify the TS to do only a capture, but no luck. I have the need for a golden image because we have certain applications that cannot be packaged and are a must on the pc. I have tried windows 10 and the latest build 1511.1 and nothing. Save me please.

It's because the Store apps have updated and this breaks Sysprep. I was speaking with a MS rep at a conference yesterday and they said you've got a few options;

1. Install W10 without a network connection and build the image in this state until the capture

2. Install W10 and set local policy (or registry) to disable the Windows Store (so it doesn't update itself and the built-in apps), then connect it to the network, build the image and remove the GPO/regedit just before capture

3. Nuke the Store and apps by running the steps shown here - https://www.windows-noob.com/forums/topic/5070-how-can-i-capture-an-image-using-capture-media-in-configmgr-2012/?p=38663

Once you capture and then deploy the Store and its apps will automagically reappear in the deployment. I tested this and replicated the results, it's really annoying and I hope MS fix it, legacy meets modern in craptacular fashion once again!

Would love to see anyweb replicate the issue and post a more thorough writeup on the problem! ;D

• Haha 1

Hi,

I am very new to SCCM. On Day 3 of our training and knowledge transfer, we have built the capture media from SCCM and mounted to our Base image "Domain Joined" VM and were asked to set up the VM so that it would boot from this ISO. Every time we tried, it wouldn't give us any error message but would just boot straight from the Hard drive. I have tried mounting other iso (ie. Windows7 iso) and VM seems to boot from that ISO just fine.

Reading your guide here, it looks like we have done at least 2 things differently from your guide.

1) Our VM was domain joined instead of workgroup.

2) Our VM was set to boot from this capture media iso although you mentioned: (do not try to boot from this ISO/CD/DVD)

I think you have already given your reason for 1) and I agree with you.

Can you please provide a little detail about 2)? It’s not that I don’t believe you but I might have to tell our trainer and I want to be prepped for possible disagreement.

Thank you.

Hi,

I am very new to SCCM. On Day 3 of our training and knowledge transfer, we have built the capture media from SCCM and mounted to our Base image "Domain Joined" VM and were asked to set up the VM so that it would boot from this ISO. Every time we tried, it wouldn't give us any error message but would just boot straight from the Hard drive. I have tried mounting other iso (ie. Windows7 iso) and VM seems to boot from that ISO just fine.

Reading your guide here, it looks like we have done at least 2 things differently from your guide.

1) Our VM was domain joined instead of workgroup.

2) Our VM was set to boot from this capture media iso although you mentioned: (do not try to boot from this ISO/CD/DVD)

I think you have already given your reason for 1) and I agree with you.

Can you please provide a little detail about 2)? It’s not that I don’t believe you but I might have to tell our trainer and I want to be prepped for possible disagreement.

Thank you.

well the process must be started in Windows, that's where you get the GUI to enter the capture destination details, the credentials needed, details about the image and then it SYSPREPs the machine before rebooting and starting the capture process in WinPE, please ask your trainer to review the steps again (in particular step 3) to see how that occurs,

First post. Hello sir.

First off, your guides are great. Our environment is a little wonky so it might be why I am having problems with SCCM doing anything really.

My issue is with this capture process.

I made a VM in a Windows 10 Hyper-V and I am trying to capture a Windows 7 enterprise x64 image.

I built the Capture ISO, installed it as a drive and ran it. It reboots, syspreps and starts to capture. But now my question....

It gets to Capturing Volume 2 of 2 and just stops at about 50%. I let it run for 3 days and it did nothing. It made a 6GB .wim file that is unusable to image or load, but it never goes past 50%.

First post. Hello sir.

First off, your guides are great. Our environment is a little wonky so it might be why I am having problems with SCCM doing anything really.

My issue is with this capture process.

I made a VM in a Windows 10 Hyper-V and I am trying to capture a Windows 7 enterprise x64 image.

I built the Capture ISO, installed it as a drive and ran it. It reboots, syspreps and starts to capture. But now my question....

It gets to Capturing Volume 2 of 2 and just stops at about 50%. I let it run for 3 days and it did nothing. It made a 6GB .wim file that is unusable to image or load, but it never goes past 50%.

So I rebuilt the capture media and it looks like it worked. But I now cannot import the WIM as an OS as it tells me that its an invalid WIM file. SCCM is turning out to be garbage. MDT just worked