anyweb

using SCCM 2012 RC in a LAB - Part 16. Integrating MDT with Configuration Manager 2012

Anyweb,

You have covered all bases regarding deploying and using this product. I have successfully built a SCCM environment in our school system. Thanks so much. I am now trying to name computers according to their location/serial no./chassis type and then prompt for a room number. I have looked around the web and this site and I haven't found any information as to how to accomplish this in SCCM 2012. Most instructions involve MDT 2012 and modifying customsettings.ini. Firstly is this possible in SCCM and secondly can you point me to a step by step guide? Thank you in advance!

Anyweb,

Thanks for your prompt reply! With all the help you've given me I feel I should call you Mr. Brady! All of your suggestions are very useful. However, I am trying to implement this as a ZTI solution. (Our techs here have VERY fat fingers). I've have come up with a script that works if I run it against a client manually,

[settings]
Priority=Init, ByLaptop, ByDesktop, ByTablet, DefaultGateway, Default
Properties=MyCustomProperty, ComputerLocationName, ComputerTypeName, ComputerSerialNumber

[init]
ComputerSerialNumber=#Left("%SerialNumber%",7)#

[byLaptop]
SubSection=Laptop-%IsLaptop%
ComputerTypeName=L

[by Desktop]
SubSection=Desktop-%IsDesktop%
ComputerTypeName=D

[byTablet]
SubSection=Tablet-%IsTablet%
ComputerTypeName=T

[DefaultGateway]
192.168.1.1=VIR
10.70.100.1=CRW
40.1.1.1=Wireless

[VIR]
ComputerLocationName=VIR
UserLocale=EN
UILanguage=EN
KeyboardLocale=414:00000414

[CRW]
ComputerLocationName=CRW
UserLocale=EN
UILanguage=EN

[Wireless]
ComputerLocationName=WLS
UserLocale=EN
UILanguage=EN

[Default]
OSInstall=Y
ComputerLocationName=UNK
ComputerTypeName=UNK
OSDComputerName=%ComputerLocationName%-%ComputerTypeName%-%ComputerSerialNumber%
SkipCapture=YES
SkipAdminPassword=YES
SkipProductKey=YES
SkipComputerBackup=Yes
SkipBitLocker=Yes

This script calls ZTIGather to query the hardware and plug in the appropriate variables. I just don't know how to get it into my task sequence. Can you help me once more?

if you want to add anything into the task sequence then you can do so by using a combination of Set Task Sequence variable steps and on the options tab of (for example) a Run Command Line, you check for the value of the variable

I don't do things the way you are doing it via a customsettings.ini, i usually popup a HTA to 'offer' the choices to the technicians, you can make that as simple or complex as you wish, have you looked at this yet ?

Niall, Thanks for your help. I did get a chance to look at your HTA and it is definitely a work of beauty! No question about it, if we had an environment where the technicians were able to do this then I would use this without question. But because we are in a very diverse environment with 53 separate domains we need to automate this step as much as possible. I will try your method of setting up Set Task Sequence steps with commandline variables and see if that works. Again thanks for you your help!

download the task sequence in that hta i linked to, and look at how the task sequence checks for variables and runs (or doesnt run) groups/steps based on the results

Thanks. This looks promising. As you pointed out it's going to take a considerable amount of back-end work to get it set up. But if it works it will be worth the effort. Wish I could use yours. It really does make it all very simple.