marxt

client installation properties (intranet & internet)

Hi all,

firstly I would to thank you for the very usefull material that is it possible to find on this forum, Great!

I have a problem with the installation of SCCM 2012 client in environment in which there is not AD publishing enabled and in which clients have to communicate both with a MP dedicated to intranet connection and another one MP dedicated to Internet connection (with auto-switch when clients are out of intranet).

The client has not a valid certificate installed yed.

I've tried with the command line:

ccmsetup.exe /mp:Intranet-MP SMSSITECODE=XXX SMSMP=Intranet-MP FSP=Intranet-FSP CCMHOSTNAME=fqdn-Internet-MP

but che client don't reach to find the assigned site.

Looking in the LocationServices.log file seems that the client have all the correct properties but he believe to be in Internet because there are some entries like: "Failed to send site information request message to Intranet-MP".

If I try with the same command line but without CCMHOSTNAME property all work fine.

My questions are:

- when I specify the CCMHOSTNAME properties all the communications will be necessary on HTTPS, also through Intranet MP? If yes the issue can be caused by the absence of certificate on the client

- during OS Deploy task sequence if I want to install any application packages is mandatory to install also the SCCM client before the tasks dedicated to install applications or is possible to include applications installation also without the task that installs SCCM client?

- If in OS deploy is mandatory to include SCCM client installation, how can I specify all the properties necessary to both internet & intranet connection without having client certificate installed yet? During OS deploy my clients have not received certificate yet.

Thanks in advance to everyone

M.

This is exactly the same problem I have, although I even have AD publishing enabled.

If I use the ccmhostname=ICBM.domain.com inside a task sequence for the "Install Configuration Manager" application the task sequence fails.

My Computer client certificate is passed out through AD, and I can't rely on it to be installed prior to client installation, although I may see if I can programatically request the certificate AND use the ccmhostname=ICBM.domain.com .

But that's exactly what happens, if you use the ccmhostname command property the SCCM client believes it's on the internet and fails to find a management point, presumably because of the management point only talks https and the client doesn't have a cert yet. We do have a http Management point which is what we prefer to build out the desktops/laptops with because we don't want to bother with certificates in the PXE environment. So not sure if there is a way to say "this is your ICBM, but don't use it at the moment, just keep it in case you need it later, find your MP from AD".

Where I already have a working operating system (built from 2007) and I install the 2012 client, everything works fine, it will roam between MPs fine.

I'll let you know if I succeed, but I think I'm going to try and repair the SCCM client at the very end with the CCMhostname command.