Davidsod

Help | Few questions & problems regarding SCCM 2012 RC2

Hello Everyone,

First i would like to say thank you for your great guide on SCCM 2012 RC2!

It was very useful for my organization.

Today we're installing new computer from a syspreped image that we have to each OS & Hardware (desktops & laptops),

and deploying new machines took too many configurations after deploying the image, that's why i've looked for a better solution,

and then i've heared about SCCM, and found your great website. I'm new to the SCCM system & concept.

I've watched CBT nuggets's guides on SCCM 2007 but it's still not coverying 2012, but i've kind of understand the concept.

I've installed the SCCM 2012 RC2 server on a VM running on VMware ESX server (win 2008 r2 sp1 ent),

With a local SQL 2008 r2 sp1 cu4 (8GB ram & 2 vCpu's), i've got about 200 devices and about 150 users & groups.

I've got a few questions:

1. What is the recommandation for hardware in my case? is 8GB ram is too much?

2. I've got 2 different domains in a diffrent forests, in this case i've installed SCCM only for Domain A, is there a way to manage Domain B from this server? or sould i install another server for Domain B?

3. I've got 2 WSUS servers for each domain, what exactly do i need to do and configure in order to integrate the WSUS & the SCCM server? is it recommanded? where can i find information about it?

4. When trying to run a Build and Deploy TS i'm getting the following error: "Capture image has failed with the error code 0x00000032" what can i do to fix it? i've tried removing the license key but it didn't help much, and i'm still getting the same error mesages, how can i know what exactly caused the problem?

5. When trying to run a deploy TS I'm getting the following error: "failed to run task sequence XXX this task sequence cannot be run because a package referenced by the task sequence could not be found" even

that i've deployed the whole application & packages on the sccm DP server role, when running the deploy without the softwares it's running smoothly.

6. How to i install softwares that i don't have their MSI files? for example EXE files of VBS files that installing softwares with preconfigured license?

Note:

Installing SCCM server: I think it will be much much better if you could create a guide on installing SQL Server 2008 R2 with SP1 & CU4

Thank you very much i'll really appreciate your help!

first things first, ConfigMgr 2012 is in release candidate version right now, so i really hope you are not rolling it out in production.

on to your questions...

1. What is the recommandation for hardware in my case? is 8GB ram is too much?

8gb is not too much at all, more ram is always better, here's the supported hardware list from Microsoft on Technet - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682077.aspx#BKMK_SupConfigSiteSystemReq

2. I've got 2 different domains in a diffrent forests, in this case i've installed SCCM only for Domain A, is there a way to manage Domain B from this server? or sould i install another server for Domain B?

Configmgr 2012 now has Active Directory Forest Discovery - read about it here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712308.aspx#BKMK_ADForestDisc

3. I've got 2 WSUS servers for each domain, what exac
tly do i need to do and configure in order to integrate the WSUS & the SCCM server? is it recommanded? where can i find information about it?

ConfigMgr relies on WSUS to synchronise and download updates from Microsoft, - Software Updates in configmgr are described here on technet - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682068.aspx

4. When trying to run a Build and Deploy TS i'm getting the following error: "Capture image has failed with the error code 0x00000032" what can i do to fix it? i've tried removing the license key but it didn't help much, and i'm still getting the same error mesages, how can i know what exactly caused the problem?

error code 0x00000032 means unsupported meaning you tried to do something that you are not allowed to do, like capture while in windows when you should be in windows PE

5. When trying to run a deploy TS I'm getting the following error: "failed to run task sequence XXX this task sequence cannot be run because a package referenced by the task sequence could not be found" even

that i've deployed the whole application & packages on the sccm DP server role, when running the deploy without the softwares it's running smoothly.

the smsts.log file will reveal what package is missing, you need to update that package to the dp's and then try again.

6. How to i install softwares that i don't have their MSI files? for example EXE files of VBS files that installing softwares with preconfigured license?

you still have the legacy package/program model in ConfigMgr 2012 for just this purpose.

Hi, I'm kind of new to this world of installing system's from scratch, i know there's a few steps before the official product, and i know that RC2 is the last release before the final release,

but my team leader said that it's ok to install it even on production, since that's the last release and when the offical release will come out we'll just need to do an upgrade or something.

As i understand from you it is not recommanded, can you give me a good reasons so i'll be able to talk with my team leader on it?

1. The only thing i've found in this artical is that i need minimum of 2 GB, but what about the SQL server? how can i find the best practices?

2. I'll read it and i'll see what can i understand from it, thanks!

3. same as 2.

4. Then how can i know what's went wrong?

5. As for this log file, i've tried to read your 10th part of the tutorial and i've clicked F8 many times in the part of "Apply Operating System" but no cmd windows was opened, so i couldn't continue with it,

What am I doing wrong?

6. What does it mean " Legacy package"? is one of your parts of the guide describe it? where can i find information about it?

Anyweb, I would like to thank you for your quick reply!

Thank!

5. As for this log file, i've tried to read your 10th part of the tutorial and i've clicked F8 many times in the part of "Apply Operating System" but no cmd windows was opened, so i couldn't continue with it,

if no command prompt opens then you must check your boot image properties (right click on your boot image), look at the Customization tab, is command prompt support enabled in there ? did you update the boot wim images to your dps ? these steps are covered in the guides already if you followed them from Part 1.

6. What does it mean " Legacy package"? is one of your parts of the guide describe it? where can i find information about it?

the new Application model uses Applications in the Software library, the old model (kept for legacy) uses Packages and Programs just like we did in Configuration Manager 2007

if no command prompt opens then you must check your boot image properties (right click on your boot image), look at the Customization tab, is command prompt support enabled in there ? did you update the boot wim images to your dps ? these steps are covered in the guides already if you followed them from Part 1.

the new Application model uses Applications in the Software library, the old model (kept for legacy) uses Packages and Programs just like we did in Configuration Manager 2007

Hello,

5. "Enable command support" is checked in x64 and x86, and i've updated the DPs, when exactly do i need to push F8? i've tried to click F8 after choosing the TS i've deployed on the machine, or in any step of the deployment but nothing happened, may you please upload a short video of how doing this? i'll be grateful.

6. Well if i undestand you right, in order to add an EXE installation i should choose "Manually specify the application information"? as i said i'm a new to sccm, after a lot of searching i've found this tutorial: http://blogs.technet.com/b/mniehaus/archive/2011/08/13/deploying-office-2010-with-configuration-manager-2012-beta-2.aspx

but i'm not sure how to perform such installation on other programs, would you please upgrade the guide part of the application deployment with manually configured application?

Anyweb, i must admit, your forum rocks!