pxedave

SCCM 2012 - Limit Deployments Using Requirement Rules & Global Conditions vs Traditional Collections

Question

Folks,

Long story short, I have 600 applications and 600 matching AD groups which I will use to target my apps to specific users. I had planned to create 600 matching User Collections, each collection querying it's specific matching AD group, deploy each app to the matching user collection and away we go. However, when discussing this with someone in Microsoft who knows much more about this product than me, he suggested I simply target all my applications to all systems and then create a Requirement within the Deployment Type in each Application limiting the installation of that app to the specific AD group.

What I think I like about this:

- Requirement rules and global conditions are processed by the client, therefore you don't have to wait for layers of collections to update according to their schedules before an app can be delivered.

What I think I don't like about this:

- You're deploying to all systems every time. You get a warning every time you setup every deployment that you are distributing to everything (?) which is not only unnerving but you also can't easily see what you've targeted.

- Even after reducing the risk by running a Deployment Simulation before a big rollout, you'd have to be really careful when modifying your requirement rules in the future as you could very easily deploy your app to every device by mistake.

- I see that a client reevaluates requirement rules only once every 7 days by default (see client setting) but surely I want to add a user to a group and have that arrive within a few hours rather than a week (?).

Has anyone else got this far / decided which approach they will use and why / seen any other blogs relating to this?...

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet