James.Pringle

SCEP 2012 Issues

Against my better judgement and despite it not being supported I have done my first production installation of SCCM 2012. This is due to the clients current antivirus contract running out before Microsoft release the final product. I know there are loads of problems that will come of this and we are prepared to reinstall in a couple of months when it is released. I have been promised final pricing tomorrow and a release date of 15/04/2012 but will wait to see if that will happen.

I have got everything setup but I am struggling to get clients to update from my Automatic Deployment Rule. They are failing with a 0x87D00692 Group Policy conflict error. I have narrowed this down to the current policy that controls the WSUS settings. I have removed this policy and the clients are starting to download updates. The customer has a well setup WSUS infrastructure that has been running for a while with no problems and due to time constraints I am reluctant to move this to SCCM at this stage.

What are my options for coexisting WSUS and SCCM in this scenario? I want to keep WSUS for Windows Updates and use SCCM for SCEP 2012 updates. I have set my client update options in SCCM for WSUS, Microsoft Update and SCCM but they still report the group policy error.

first things first, ConfigMgr 2012 is in release candidate you should NOT be rolling it out in production, period. MIcrosoft will not support you.

secondly if you want updates from WSUS then it's all or nothing, so forget about using ADR's for the updates as ADR's require a working SUP and a working SUP wants to have full control of your WSUS infratstructure. Or, let Configmgr deliver all the updates, why use WSUS for software updates when you have a ConfigMgr infrastructure it makes no sense.

SCEP can get updates in many ways have you reviewed all of them ?

I figured it was going to be all or nothing so ended up doing my updates through SCCM as well. There were plans to replace the WSUS server later in the summer anyway so we have just brought it forward a few months. The customer is happy to take the risk running the release candidate we made sure they were aware of the potential for problems and the lack of support. The functions of SCCM aren't really mission critical and we can easily revert back to the products we were using before.

first things first, ConfigMgr 2012 is in release candidate you should NOT be rolling it out in production, period. MIcrosoft will not support you.

secondly if you want updates from WSUS then it's all or nothing, so forget about using ADR's for the updates as ADR's require a working SUP and a working SUP wants to have full control of your WSUS infratstructure. Or, let Configmgr deliver all the updates, why use WSUS for software updates when you have a ConfigMgr infrastructure it makes no sense.

SCEP can get updates in many ways have you reviewed all of them ?

When you say "let Configmgr deliver all the updates"...what exactly do you mean? Do you mean leave wsus out of the picture completely? I'm trying to figure out the best way to deliver updates in our environment as well and the whole process just seems a little cloudy to me as to the best practice.

Thanks!

what i mean is ConfigMgr requires a WSUS installation in order to deliver updates via the Software Updates method, see below:-

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh508780.aspx

Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) must be installed and configured for software updates synchronization if you want to use Configuration Manager software updates to deliver definition and engine updates.

See Prerequisites for Software Updates in Configuration Manager.

I am evaluating SCCM 2012 RTM and your RC guide is fantastic - thanks.

I have managed to create a few applications both from msi and customozed scripts and clients are able to view and install these packages from their software center.

What I have not succeeded in doing is making a group of Software updates available in the software center for users to install the updates themselves.

Our Group Policy does not allow Automatic Windows Updates, but manual updates are allowed. I presume the reason that SCCM cannot push the updates automatically to the clients is due to this GPO higher restriction, but why are the updates not published to the the software center like the applications are being published?

When I create the software update group, I specifically state that in the user experience tab that user notifications should appear in software Center. The update group properties seem correct - (deployed and downloaded)..

Thanks