TimN_FL

Slow OSD Build and Capture

Question

We have just started to use SCCM 2007 r2 ( working on the upgrade to r3) to build and deploy a Windows XP SP3 image to a number of lab environments that we have setup. The deployment process works completely as expected. Its the build process that we are having a problem with. We would like to keep our Images fairly up-to-date by "rebuilding" the images monthly after new updates have been incorporated after patch tuesday. The problem that we are having is that the build process takes so long. Our last build took about 12-13 hours to complete which seems excessive to me. We are building from scratch each and everytime using installation media and not the previous wim. We figured that this would be a cleaner image as it would not include patches that are no longer applicable because they have been superceded, expired, etc... And we assumed that this would help our imaging process since bad items would not be carried over from the previous image as we continue to update\tweak our process. I am assuming that I am not the only one that has encountered this. Does anyone have any suggestions to speed up the process?

Thanks in advance for any advice\suggestions,

TimN_FL

1 answer to this question

Are you using a VMWare Workstation as the reference machine to be captured? If so, was it allocated enough RAM? And have you tried looking into the log files to see what's taking so long? It almost sounds like something is erroring out, and the processes are waiting until it times out. Maybe set some timeouts in your task sequence for known items? Just some thoughts off the top of my head...

Oh, and you might get more responses if you post within the XP forum: http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/forum/58-deploy-xp/