JBAB

Out of Band Management

Hi all

Is that correct, that Out of Band Management is only possible with a internal PKI Structure? Because when i want to install the Out of Band Management Point, i am stuck at the ATM Provisioning certificate point where i cant select a certificate.

thanks

JBAB

You can do it with an internal PKI, but you'll have to manually add those certificates to each machine.

I had a big issue with this on RC1 and RC2 labs. I opened a case with MS, and I had some of the chinese team that works on AMT work with me. Basically, you want to purchase an AMT certificate from GoDaddy and use it (this is a special certificate, it's about $300.00. It's called an Intel vPro certificate). Once I purchased the cert, I was able to properly provision the machines in my lab. However, I had issues with the AMT console; the MS team built a new console for me which never worked. They even had a meeting with Intel on how to make it work and it never worked for me. I'm just hoping they fixed this bug.

I hope this helps.

Wake on LAN and the vPro integration are separate. Out of band management can also send power-on commands to a vPro enabled device, but ConfigMgr can also send the magic packet to devices to wake them up without any requirements for AMT/vPro/out of band management.

That said, in System Center 2012 Configuration Manager, you will need to enable the out of band management point site system role to get the functionality required to send out the magic packets from the server. Even though the out of band management capabilities are not required, you must deploy that role to get WoL to work.

I'm just hoping they fixed this bug.

Does anyone know if this has been fixed in RTM? Our company really wants to take advantage of the vPro/AMT features but I am hesitant to implement even with a vPro cert from Verisign, if it is not working properly. Any info would be much appreciated! thanks