SRed

OSD seems to fail on strange driver I can't find in SCCM...

Question

Hi all,

First and foremost, I love this site, it is such a fantastic reference guide and a boon to IT people like myself.

I'm working on a new image, (actually, the same one I tweeted you about last week, Niall! As it turns out, we'd been using an incorrect NIC driver which was causing the port to take a long time to come online, and the PXE TFTP transfer was timing out as a result), for an HP 8560p Elitebook, and I've gotten it to boot through PXE to WinPE and get through the Apply Driver Package step of my Task Sequence.

post-11436-0-99088300-1334091698_thumb.png

Install is Failing at Setup Windows and ConfigMgr with the following:

-In setupact.log

2012-04-10 16:06:24, Info PnPIBS: Installing driver X:\WINDOWS\INF\oem79.inf ...

2012-04-10 16:06:25, Info [0x0640ae] IBSLIB PublishMessage: Publishing message [Windows Setup could not install one or more boot-critical drivers. To install Windows, make sure that the drivers are valid, and restart the installation.]

Now, I've looked through SCCM for the driver in accordance with directions found here:
and I don't see this drive, oem79.inf. I decided to look further and discovered that the file in question is johci.inf, a 1394-Firewire driver, which I would not deem boot-critical, though evidently the installer believes this to be the case. I looked in SCCM and can't find a matching driver, but instead find many variants, all of which are signed.

post-11436-0-02278700-1334091470_thumb.png

I then checked my boot image and this driver is not added to the boot.wim image either.

So, before I disable and remove this driver from the Driver Packages for this model, do you guys have any thoughts?

Thanks again for all of everyone's help.

6 answers to this question

First and foremost, I love this site, it is such a fantastic reference guide and a boon to IT people like myself.

thanks and spread the word !

one small observation, why is the Apply network settings step after the apply driver packages, normally it occurs just after apply windows settings

aside from that can you post your smsts.log and setupact.log and ccmsetup.log files in full so we can take a look ?

do you have anything added in your setup windows and configmgr step ?

• Like 1

We moved it down below the Apply Driver Package task sequence thinking that the Network Settings wouldn't work until the Driver Package was installed. As I'm typing this out though, I wonder if that was a bad idea.

As an aside, each of those Driver Packages have a WMI Query to only run on certain models.

We've not added anything to our Setup Windows and ConfigMgr step.

I've attached two logs, I couldn't find CCMSetup and, in hindsight, this makes sense, as the install failed on Windows Installation, rather than on Setting up ConfigMgr.

setupact.log

smsts.log

Based upon the location of the inf file I don't think it is a driver loaded into SCCM, but instead it is likely a driver in the OS source.

Instead of C:\_SMSTaskSequence\drivers\ it is X:\WINDOWS\INF\, and X: is the mount point for the OS image you are using.

I'm not actually sure that this is the case. Consider this: this same laptop can boot and install from the same Windows 7 media when burned to a disc, meaning the problem is not with the OEM drivers in this folder. In my searching, it seems to be that as the drivers are migrated in from the driver package, they're given a ##.inf name and placed in the X:\Windows\INF folder for WinPE.

Can anyone confirm that this is the case? If so, then the problem is likely one of the other drivers in the environment.

Seems to be the case! I deleted all of the drivers related to the JMicron brand 1394-Firewire controller and OSD completed without a hitch! Thanks for your help guys.

• Like 1