jimmyt

architecture questions re primary sites

Hi

Can someone direct me to some more information about primary sites in 2012? I have a few questions

- What happens if lose my primary site? Do I need to have two for redundancy?

- Can primary sites replicate with each other?

- Can a client be moved between primary sites?

thanks

J

Two primary sites won't provide 100% redundancy, as they are not mirrors of each other. If you have two primary sites in your environment, you'll likely also have a Central Administration Site (CAS) that both primary sites connect to. Both primary sites will get global data (e.g. the collections, collection properties, applications, and other things that the administrator adds to the system). So, in that way, there is redundancy. However, each site will have a set of clients that are managed, and the information that each client sends to its assigned primary site (e.g. inventory, status, or state messages) is not shared with the other primary site, it's simply forwarded up to the central administration site.

Yes, you can re-assign clients from one primary site to another by running a simple script on the client or using the control panel applet on each client.

The Survival Guide is a great place to get the most commonly asked information: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/7075.system-center-2012-configuration-manager-survival-guide-en-us.aspx

Additionally, this planning for recovery guide should also answer some questions about how to plan for backup & recovery: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712686.aspx

Dave

• Like 1