PolishPaul

PXE without DHCP worked, not it doesn't?

(PXE Without DHCP worked, NOW* it doesn't)

I have a lab with an SCCM server with SQL and another as the Active directory server (2 servers total). These are on a private network and have a Linux DHCP/PXE setup.

When i setup SCCM i never setup DHCP but i did setup PXE on the distribution point. I was able to boot up right into the SCCM server's PXE or to the Linux one if i put in a delay on the SCCM server.

Last week i was trying to get PXE to chain load from another server (without success so far, but that's another post). On Monday, i look at the setup and I was no longer able to PXE into my SCCM server. Granted, i was mucking around with the settings but... How was it possible that the SCCM server received and handled PXE requests without DHCP? I was under the impression that DHCP was needed. The reason i didn't install DHCP on SCCM is because i was trying to integrate it with the exitsting Linux setup. Kinda stumped on this one...

"hese are on a private network and have a Linux DHCP/PXE setup"

You dont need DHCP on your SCCM server to be able to get PXE to work, as long as the client get an IP adress you are good to go. Then hopyfully the SCCM will respond after the client has the IP adress.