sbrito

Zero Touch Base Imaging

First i'd like to say this site has been amazing in helping us test and rollout SCCM to the company. Keep up the good work!

Next, I'm am trying to create a zero touch base image using a standard Build and Capture task sequence.

I've added the following items.

Install Application:

• Adobe Acrobat X
  • Adobe Flash Player

Install Package:

• Microsoft Office 2010
  • Java

I have the packages and applications enabled to install via task sequence although the only thing that installs is Office and the others fail. If I uncheck the box to skip any failed installed I get the error message 0x80004005.

Additionally, this is a machine that is an "Unknown" but that collection is targeted with PXE boots and boots up fine. when I ignore errors the machine even captures(although missing most of the software)

Any suggestions? Which logs can I look in?

Thanks!

Okay So I think I figured out why applications won't install. I added a join domain task to the TS and everything worked out okay. I would believe that the reason this is, is because the SCCM service accounts are on the domain and therefore cannot get local admin permissions to do its thing to install the applications.

Unless this has changed I know that capturing while on the domain is no good. So how would I go about either joining the domain, installing the applications, then unjoin the domain or give SCCM proper permissions to an unbound machine to install these applications?

Thanks!

I have all those settings in there and have been able to Deploy an OS with Packages. Applications do not want to install though unless the computer is bound to the domain. I've also made sure that

Here's a few lines from my CITaskMgr log

<![LOG[CCITaskMgr::InitiateTask failed. Error =0x87d00607]LOG]!><time="10:59:01.655+420" date="04-30-2012" component="CITaskMgr" context="" type="3" thread="3120" file="ccitaskmgr.cpp:305">
<![LOG[initiating task ContentDownload for CI ScopeId_9F903CE1-2B3E-402D-8FEF-10B98366383F/DeploymentType_119c5546-84c6-4df6-9ba7-bd9c5495942a.1 (Google Chrome - Windows Installer (Native)) for target: ]LOG]!><time="11:01:15.589+420" date="04-30-2012" component="CITaskMgr" context="" type="1" thread="3120" file="ccitaskmgr.cpp:245">
<![LOG[unable to get locations, no need to continue with download]LOG]!><time="11:01:15.693+420" date="04-30-2012" component="CITaskMgr" context="" type="3" thread="3120" file="contentdownload.cpp:290">
<![LOG[CheckLocations failed. Error = 0x87d00607]LOG]!><time="11:01:15.693+420" date="04-30-2012" component="CITaskMgr" context="" type="3" thread="3120" file="contentdownload.cpp:300">
<![LOG[CCITaskMgr::InitiateTask failed. Error =0x87d00607]LOG]!><time="11:01:15.693+420" date="04-30-2012" component="CITaskMgr" context="" type="3" thread="3120" file="ccitaskmgr.cpp:305">

Additionally, my AppDiscovery log has "MSI Application not discovered" and "Did not detect app deployment type"

This seems to be a case of not finding the proper DP where the content is stored, but I've checked my boundaries and boundry groups and made sure they have a DP assigned to them.

Additionally, it seems as though in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CCM\CCMEval there is no "Last Site Code" key. Could this be a reason why its not working?

So it looks like this is an issue of permissions or the network access account not applying correctly. I set the SMS_DP_SMSPKG$ Authentication method in IIS to Anonymous and the packages worked immediately.

I have tested and verified my network access account and I still can't seem to access applications when the machines are on a workgroup. I've also made sure that the network access account was applied correctly to the site as well.

Any thoughts? Getting really close, and this has made me understand SCCM so much more.

First, you should ALWAYS use MDT for building and capturing the master images of Windows operating systems that you plan on deploying to computers in your environment. The main reason for this is that with MDT you can preconfigure the default user profile to customize the desktop of the user who will be using the computer you're deploying Windows onto. That's because with MDT you can configure user settings for the built-in Administrator account and then use the CopyProfile setting during deployment to make these the Default User settings on the target computer.

Why does CopyProfile work with MDT but not with SCCM? Because during Lite Touch Installation (LTI) MDT runs its task sequence in the context of the built-in Administrator account while SCCM runs its task sequence in the context of the LocalSystem account. Now you could actually make CopyProfile work with SCCM deployments if you wanted to, but it takes a lot of painful scripting to do this, so why bother if MDT already does it so easily?

There are some other reasons why you should use MDT and not SCCM for building and capturing your master images. For one thing, since SCCM is usually only deployed in a production environment, you don't really want to mess around there by building and capturing images and deploying them to test machines in your production environment. You should do your image building/testing in a safe test environment, not production, and most organizations won't want to go to the trouble of setting up a whole separate instance of SCCM just for testing purposes.

Leverage that MDT 2010 Update 1 then copy the WIM files over to your deployment share.

thisngs will go much smoother and you will have more control over the content of your base image with core apps installed.

Remember best practices?