mrbios

Endpoint protection deployment

Right first of all let me start by saying i hadn't played around with either of the RCs or betas so I'm completely new to SCCM2012, and while i had SCCM2007 running it was never fully utilised as i found out half way through setting it up last year about SCCM2012 and as it wasn't important to have 2007 running i just dropped what i was doing and waited...... so in other words please talk to me like a noob as i'm still learning this as i go :P

Now though I'm working my way through the RTM release and using the RC2 documentation as a rough guide to setting it up, making notes where things have changed or i need to do something seperate from the documentation, but i've hit a snag at endpoint protection deployment..

I've installed the Endpoint Protection Point role, i've configured the antimalware and firewall policies and i've got the update point set to download the latest definitions, but the endpoint doesn't appear to be deploying automatically, nor can i find any way of manually deploying it. Can anyone guide me on where i need to go to either kick start the automatic deployment or even a way i can manually deploy it?

Additionally: No errors in any of the logs, albeit the endpoint section contains no logs whatsoever.

Thanks

Have you configured the Client Settings to deploy the client?

Personally I configured a custom client device setting just for Endpoint (Administration > Client Settings > Create Custom Client Device Settings + tick Endpoint Protection) as I wanted to regulate the deployment. You can then right click on the new settings and deploy them to a collection. Once I did that the deployment kicked off over a few days.

Have you configured the Client Settings to deploy the client?

Personally I configured a custom client device setting just for Endpoint (Administration > Client Settings > Create Custom Client Device Settings + tick Endpoint Protection) as I wanted to regulate the deployment. You can then right click on the new settings and deploy them to a collection. Once I did that the deployment kicked off over a few days.

Ah thank you, just what i wanted :)

Yup, I created an "Endpoint Deployment" collection then added one of our offices collections to see how it handled uninstalling the existing clients. Once I was happy I modified the Endpoint Deployment to include all the other office collections I have and it deployed to the remaining clients over a couple of days.

Once they are installed they automatically pick up the Antimalware policy they are assigned to and configure themselves, you can check from Assets and Compliance > Devices > -device- > Endpoint Protection tab, it should read as managed, and the appropriate policy listed next to it.

I was actually being pretty stupid... i had gone into the client settings and looked at the endpoint protection part but the wording threw me off. I thought the setting for enabling endpoint protection was actually to allow people logged in to the client pc to be able to manage the EP software. So i had left it as false, enabled now though :)

Got my head around the collections part now so i'm slowly deploying everything to our IT office before rolling it all out to the rest of the site, fantastic :)