jace5869

Change Computer Name

Question

Basically what I need is a script that will somehow look at the MAC address (possible through ipconfig /all or sysinfo or something) of the Local Area Network connection (on-board NIC) and change the computer to something like:

C:> ipconfig /all

IP ........................... 192.168.0.2

Subnet mask............ 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway....... 192.168.0.1

MAC........................ 00-1E-4F-F5-89-66

Add 'US' to the MAC -> US00-1E-4F-F5-89-66 -> Remove the dashes -> US001E4FF58966

Sorry, for dragging out all of that, I just didn't want any misunderstandings about what I was trying to achieve, I'm not great at scripting at all -- I'm trying to learn (I'm just an intermediate Batch file scripter).

I don't mind if the script is in BATCH, VBScript, PERL, Python ... but I think it would probably be something easily done through VBScript. Like I said, I'm willing to learn as much as possible so if you could run me through what ever you have I would appreciate it.

I'm looking at making either a Automated Windows Deployment and need a way of running a script to change the name -- and then add the computer to the domain. since all of this economy crisis it would be hard to get my work to purchase hundreds of licenses of a Ghost/Symantec product to manage this.

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Looking through the Server 2003 Resource Kit I have this VBScript??

ErrResults = oComputer.Rename(WScript.Arguments.Named("name"),Null,Null)
If ErrResults <> 0 Then
 WScript.Echo " ***Error Renaming: " & ErrResults
Else
 Verbose "Rename successful. Restart of remote computer is necessary. "
End If

Do you think this will be sufficient enough? I'm still at a loss as to how to make this change the name based on MAC Address

Try this script:

It will change your computername to US+MACADDR (without any ":")

Example (XP in swedish but i think you understand how it works):

post-2500-1234619685_thumb.png

After this script has run you need to restart your computer and if your computer was in a domain you need to readd the computer to the domain.

If you need more help with this give me a ping and ill show you how to do a script that will allso rejoin the computer to a domain.

strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
Set colMACADDR = objWMIService.ExecQuery ("Select * From Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration Where IPEnabled = True")
For Each objMACADDR in colMACADDR
 strMAC = objMACADDR.MACAddress
 If strMAC <> "" Then exit For
Next 

strMAC=replace(strMAC,":","")

Set ws = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
value1 = "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName\"
value2 = "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ParameterS\"
ws.RegWrite value1 & "ComputerName", "US" & strMAC
ws.RegWrite value2 & "NV Hostname", "US" & strMAC

This is only tested on winXP, will get back to you guys once tested on Vista. Will allso upload an english picture once i get the chance ;)