anyweb

using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 2. Install the primary server - P01

Hi,

I am new to this topic - but I want to ask some questions - hope they aren't too foolish.

We have a HQ and 4 offices linked together through 10 Mbps VPN-links. Each office has its own IP range.

1) If I install a primary site on the HQ and want to manage all the five locations - is it possible?

2) If I want a local-cache on the offices (4) do I have to install in each location a System Center server and mark it as a secondary server? (I though about some local storage and just to point for the IP range 1.1.1.x to the \\1.1.1.1\Cache server).

Thanks!

Hi,

I am new to this topic - but I want to ask some questions - hope they aren't too foolish.

We have a HQ and 4 offices linked together through 10 Mbps VPN-links. Each office has its own IP range.

1) If I install a primary site on the HQ and want to manage all the five locations - is it possible?

2) If I want a local-cache on the offices (4) do I have to install in each location a System Center server and mark it as a secondary server? (I though about some local storage and just to point for the IP range 1.1.1.x to the \\1.1.1.1\Cache server).

Thanks!

1. yes it's posible

2. you can place distribution points at the 4 locoal offices, no probnlem at all, or you can have have 4 secondary servers, it's up to you what you think you need.

1. yes it's posible

2. you can place distribution points at the 4 locoal offices, no probnlem at all, or you can have have 4 secondary servers, it's up to you what you think you need.

I am quite sure I won't need secondary servers - we are talking about 15-20 clients in each of the 4 sites. The question is - if you have some resources somewhere - how do I make ordinary servers distribution points?

L.E.: Found it! :)http://www.niallbrady.com/2012/06/14/how-can-i-add-a-pxe-enabled-distribution-point-on-server-2008-x86-for-system-center-2012-configuration-manager/

Thanks a lot!

that example on my blog does show you how to create distribution points however it is specifically aimed at doing so on a X86 server, if you are using an X64 server then you will gain additional functionality

that example on my blog does show you how to create distribution points however it is specifically aimed at doing so on a X86 server, if you are using an X64 server then you will gain additional functionality

I will use x64 for sure.

Also, I will try and setup in a test environment - I will see it will come out! :)

Anyway - nice job that you are doing! Keep up!

Hi anyweb

I am a SQL Server Admin.

We have a Shared SQL Server instance (other application use this SQL instance)

SQL Server 2008 R2

SCCM 2012 (Managed by another team)

• Is this true?
    1. "The site server computer account must be a member of the Administrators group on the computer running SQL Server." This was an extract from SCCM 2007 (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb694127.aspx)
  • I am reluctant to provide Local Admin rights to the Server hosting only SQL Server instance?
  • What level of SQL Server access doe the SCCM account need on the SQL Server instance?

Jagadesh.

anyweb,

Great job! Your guides really took the mystery out of SCCM 2012. Even a noob like me could make it work. We successfully set up a Primary site in our location and we're humming along. Thanks again. I do have a question regarding setting up a CAS/Primary. site in a virtual lab. I have followed your guide until I got to this point:

post-1-0-67759500-1336249667.png

After hitting next I get an error: "Attemted to perform an unauthorized operation. I am logged in as SMS Admin that has local rights to CAS and P01. I have opened firewall ports on all machines. I have verified that all servers are joined to my domain and they have active DNS records. I have added SMSAdmin as a sysadmin on SQL Server.

Insterestingly, If I login as the local admin I get the following error.

"The user running setup must have an RBA security role of Infrastructure Administrator or Full Administstrator on the target central administrator site. Please verify the user hase the correct role.

I have added the RBA roles in question for local administrator in the ConfMgr console

Is there something I am missing? Have I given enough information? Please let me know if there's an easy fix for this.

anyweb,

Great job! Your guides really took the mystery out of SCCM 2012. Even a noob like me could make it work.

are you trying to join a primary site to a CAS ?

Yes I am. Just to test that my configuration is working OK I went ahead and created it as a stand-alone primary. Of course the installation went through without a hitch. I think I have a rights issue. The primary console doesn't run under SMSAdmin only under local admin. Thanks for the fast reply.