tgr

Home lab - for testing, playing and whatnot!

Hi guys,

This is actually a continuation from Twitter, a conversation I had with Niall;

I am curious how you guys' labs are put together, setup.

Right now I'm at a point where I don't know if I should buy an all new setup, a desktop PC - or upgrade my T520 with an SSD disk, some more RAM and then get it on...

Maybe this could start a new forum category where people could talk stuff like this - I don't know.

Niall, what do you say? ;-)

currently the computer i use for LAB work (including pretty much all of the current CM12 series) is a HP Elitebook 8560W, with 16GB ram and core i7 2360qm (4 cores, 8 logical processors), 2 ghz,

it has two hard discs, one SATA 700GB (sorry Thomas, i was wrong, it wasnt a 1TB) and one 240GB SSD drive in the modular bay. I have a 1.3TB USB 3.0 disc connected also as it has a load of virtual machines running on it (i have both Configuration Manager 2007 and 2012 labs, standalone and heirarchy).

My setup is not quite as involved as Niall's is but it's similar.

I also have an HP 8560W with the following:

Quad Core i7-2720QM @ 2.2Ghz

14GB ram (I know, odd number)

700GB internal SATA drive

1TB External eSATA drive

I don't use Hyper-V though. I am using Oracle's VirtualBox and love it (Free)! I quite frequently am running 5+ VM's at a time and currently am running Niall's SCCM 2012 setup with a Central and a Primary. Working well so far!

currently the computer i use for LAB work (including pretty much all of the current CM12 series) is a HP Elitebook 8560W, with 16GB ram and core i7 2360qm (4 cores, 8 logical processors), 2 ghz,

it has two hard discs, one SATA 700GB (sorry Thomas, i was wrong, it wasnt a 1TB) and one 240GB SSD drive in the modular bay. I have a 1.3TB USB 3.0 disc connected also as it has a load of virtual machines running on it (i have both Configuration Manager 2007 and 2012 labs, standalone and heirarchy).

I have almost the same setup but I run on a ASUS N53SV-SZ404V with a Core i7 2630QM and 12 GB of RAM, all my VM's are stored on a 750 GB external harddisk.