crossan007

Manually Trigger WOL for Device Collection

I recently wanted to wake a group of computer, and was trying to figure out how to do it from the SCCM console. One method I found was to create a "dummy package" and deploy it with the "send wol packets" box checked off. I didn't like this option, so I did some scouting.

I found the wonderful "SCCM Client Actions Tool" which is found at: http://sccmcat.codep...ases/view/85803

While this tool is great, it still didn't do everything I wanted (namely Config Manger console integration). Also, I noticed that subnet directed broadcasts were not working (though my network is configured for them.) Upon deeper inspection, I realized that the WOL.exe included with the application did not support the feature. I decided to replace it (and update the HTA app) with the Depicus WOL Tool (found at http://www.depicus.c...on-lan-cmd.aspx). I opened up the HTA application (plain old HTML / VBS / CSS) and made some changes. I added a handler to process command line arguments (just one argument actually - WOL in this case, though more may come), and then I made a console Action Extension xml file to integrate into the Device Collections node.

My Device Collection ribbon bar now has a new button:

post-15917-0-98033500-1336412521_thumb.png

If you'd like the files I built for this, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send them to you (since I'm not allowed to upload HTAs to this forum).

I make no guarantees that it will work for you as intended, but if you find a bug and let me know, I may eventually look into it. The HTA source code is open so I encourage you to examine it and make sure it won't do anything bad to your network before you use it (I'm not responsible for any possible damages caused by it)

Hi,

I was searching on how to expand the Console menus and found this post which brought me onto the right track, because i didn't really know what to google for.

I had already found the "SCCM Client Actions Tool" which is really great work, but as you, I wanted it to integrate into the console.

So I started searching for "SCCM console Action Extension" and found the appropriate Microsoft Documentation on the topic http://msdn.microsof...ibrary/hh948631

But somehow it didn't work and brought me back to google where i found this http://myitforum.com...ht-click-tools/

It gets you a lot a useful stuff right into the console just a right click away.

I really felt the need to share this, maybe someone else finds it as usefull as i am!

regards

Stephan

Hi crossan007,

seems very cool, we have sccm 2007 in place, and I have the tool working in my locale console, but I can;t find an option for the wake-up part. Is there also something for the sccm 2007 console. I tought the tool you are using is the one for sccm 2012, isn't it?

hi crossan007

I have been googling for hours about WOL vs OOB in SCCM 2012,

The bottom line is there is not function in SCCM 2012 to WOL without sending out an advertisment, ( you can OOB power on if your clients support AMT power features), but mine dont ! arrr nitemare!

Could you please send me the script and the "console Action Extension xml file to integrate into the Device Collections node."

andydis at gmail dot com

and i would be eternally grateful!