bennettjd

Deploy application and then after deploy update to application

Question

Using SCCM 2012 and deploying applications. Say I deploy Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro (9.0.0) now say 1 month goes by and there is an update to 9.1.0. How would I deploy that to the already installed 9.0.0 and then update the install to the collection so it installs 9.0.0 and then updates to 9.1.0? I am using ad groups to collection and then advertising to the collection. I would like to perform the updates even though they are up to 9.4.1 and have to increment.

Most of this is to clean up old installs that have not been patched. I have more applications then just this one?

Do I create a new application for each of the updates or is there a better way?

Fair point peter. I am a bit of a noob with SCCM. THe last time I used this tool was SMS so a lot has changed for me. I will do my research on Settings Management as it sounds like a powerful tool. Could you post an example of the script you are using to deploy your MSP's and take me through the workflow?

For Example:

Day 1 Adobe Releases Reader X 10.1.0 - You deliver the simple MSI to a target machine/user Collection

Day 45 Adobe Release Reader X 10.1.1 - How do you deliver the MSP to your existing Collection.

Day 90 Adobe releases Reader X 10.1.2 - How do you deliver the MSP to the same collection plus you added 100 Machines/People, how do they get the application. Do you deploy the base MSI plus Each Patch or do you only deliver 10.1.0 and the MSP for 10.1.2.

What does this look like in your Software Library? What does your Collection Look Like? Are there multiple Applications are you using Packages to accomplish this?

Sorry for all the questions but you have me intrigued as I thought I had this nailed already.

All right. After all this i was completely rethinking the whole process again, because i noticed that i still had too much overhead. So i started to simplify my adobe installations.

Here is what i did.

1. Creating the Base Application for the MSI in the Software Library

- the source directory contains the MSI the MST and the Setup.ini

-create new application

- manually specify the application information

- add a deployment type

- Windows Installer Native

- edit the program tab in the deployment type

msiexec /i AdbeRdr1010_de_DE.msi TRANSFORMS=AdbeRdr1010_de_DE.mst /q

- edit the requirements tab and add windows 7 as requirement

2. Creating the Patch Application

- the source directory contains the MSP and the VBS file

- create new application

- manually specify the application information

- add deployment type

- Script Installer Native

- installation program : cscript.exe patchadobe.vbs

- specify how deployment is detected -> Product code of the Base MSI but version of the Patch File

- Installation requirements : Windows 7

- Installation Dependencies: add the Base Application for Adobe Reader

Here is the script wrapper for the patching

--------------------------------------------------------------

Set sho = Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

strCommand = "msiexec.exe /p AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp /q"

intRet = sho.run(strCommand,0,True)

wscript.quit(intRet)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Finally deploy both applications to your "all windows 7 systems" collection

For the next patch, let's say its 10.1.4 just replace the MSP file in the source directory of the patch application and the name of the file in the script. Then edit the deployment type in the patch application and change the version number in the deployment type detection. Update the distribution points and you are done.

I am trying to customize the Office Communicator 2007 R2 Application that came with the Application Model Kit in the SCCM 2012 SDK.

We use Office Communicator, but have it patched. I was trying to work out a way to patch it all in one deployment type, but as I am reading various posts, it sounds like this is not possible. The post above has a good description, but I also had another idea.

Could I create a deployment type called "Office Communicator 2007 R2 November 2012 Patch", specify this in the command line "msiexec /p 3.5.6907.266Patch.msp /norestart /qb" and add a dependency for the Office Communicator 2007 R2 deployment type that came from the Application Model Kit?

That's what I have right now and I'm jsut beginning to test with it.

One thing I wondered about is the Detection Rule that came with the Application Model Kit "Office Communicator 2007 R2" deployment type. I changed that so that it refers to the Product code from the MSI that I have.

I'll let you know how it goes