anyweb

How can I easily prompt for a computer name in Configuration Manager 2012

Just wanted to say a quick thanks! :)

I was just looking for a way of prompting an input for a computer name and all I could see was lots of different scripts - there's nothing wrong with scripts but my knowledge on PowerShell is pretty limited so I cant tell if the scripts I've been looking at do what they say they will do and if they do anything else that I dont want them to do!

This was is much easier and simpler than a script so not really sure why all the scripts exist, unless of course this is a new option in 2012/2012R2.

Once again, thanks!

B)

A bit of old school here, but in the past using Altiris (sorry don't know the version), from the management console, a command to rename the computer could be issued and Altiris would change the computer name, add it to the domain, reboot the system, etc. This feature was very handy for remote offices and when naming standards changed. My organization has moved to SCCM, and I'm surprised SCCM 2012 cannot perform the same feature, or can it?

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to SCCM and this appears to be the simplest way I've found to name a computer using SCCM, but even though the variable shows up in the task sequence and I click on it apply a name it FAILS TO NAME THE DEPLOYED PC. The smsts log shows the precedence = 1, but the when I log into the PC it still shows the reference computer's name. The OSD goes through without a hitch, but I have still been unable to apply a computer name. I think it's important to mention that the OS that is being deployed is a Windows 10 Pro thick image that is being deployed to a vCenter VM. I could really use some help working through this. Thanks in advance.

Running ConfigMgr 2012 R2SP2 on VMWare

post-33201-0-42150500-1458329363.png

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to SCCM and this appears to be the simplest way I've found to name a computer using SCCM, but even though the variable shows up in the task sequence and I click on it apply a name it FAILS TO NAME THE DEPLOYED PC. The smsts log shows the precedence = 1, but the when I log into the PC it still shows the reference computer's name. The OSD goes through without a hitch, but I have still been unable to apply a computer name. I think it's important to mention that the OS that is being deployed is a Windows 10 Pro thick image that is being deployed to a vCenter VM. I could really use some help working through this. Thanks in advance.

Running ConfigMgr 2012 R2SP2 on VMWare

can you attach the entire smsts.log so we can see what additional actions occur during the ts.

Hi Everyone,

This a relatively old post but I see that people (including myself) who are setting up their SCCM infrastructure are asking the same question about setting a ComputerName during the OSD task sequence.

I originally gave the steps a try but it was not working for me in the beginning.

Through another info source on SCCM, I learned that when deploying your OSD TS to All Unknown Computers, you MUST set the deployment type to AVAILABLE and not required. Once I re-deployed to a test PC, voila!! everything started to work as described in the original post.

I'm pretty sure that this important step is not mentioned anywhere in this topic thread so I figured I would add it in case anyone else out there is getting stuck on this too.

• Like 1