easybernd

SCCM2012 Automatic Computername in OSD^

Hi i am new in this forum.

I need help with Deployment OSD in SCCM 2012

actually i have a OSDComputer Name prompt over the Bare Metal Image

Who it is possible to make a Automatic Computername

Example: CONWS001, CONWS002 ...

I dont find any variable where i can use this.

Thx for help :)

Greetz from vienna

I believe something like that would be possible with MDT integration, through use of customsettings.ini and the OSDComputerName variable there...I could be wrong, but it might be a place to start looking :)

you can use a webservice to do this and i use Michael Niehaus's webservice to do this in my example HTA here. The logic is stored in the task sequence and HTA frontend code, all you have to do is create the webservice.

The biggest reasonis that if you have ten companies, you've got ten naming conventions for computers... There is no one solution fits all with this, not even close, that's why there are so many scripts, hta's and tools in the community for that.

There are many things in System center products that doe's not fit all companies/envoirments, but they are always optional 'Auto OSD name' should be a optional feature in SCCM no dobut, it's sucha big part of OSD in general.

At my company I use DELL's asset label (not the asset tag) for the computer's account name in active directory. We set the asset label during our BIOS setup, and then my script extracts this value and assigns it to the SCCM variable for the computer name. If there is no asset label configure in BIOS, the entire process stops.

We do this by importing the MAC and final computer name into SCCM and the build will rename the computer automatically. This works well except when using a CD build. We have found that it does not rename the computer from MININT-xxxxxxx to the proper name in maybe 10% of cases. This was logged with MS Premier support and has been accepted as a bug. A fix will be included in SCCM 2012 SP1 due in October. There is no problem when using a client or PXE build.

There are many things in System center products that doe's not fit all companies/envoirments, but they are always optional 'Auto OSD name' should be a optional feature in SCCM no dobut, it's sucha big part of OSD in general.

I totally agree with you - thats why I have taken my project on codeplex bit further and now have written custom console extension for SCCM that enables you to control autonaming directly from TS GUI editor

I just finished that for CM2007 - but I plan to finish the same extension for CM2012 till end of november