easybernd

SCCM2012 Automatic Computername in OSD^

Hi hassel,

my first pick for your approach of computer naming would be to use the MDT database for the naming part. There are a lot of scripts around to import data from csv files.

As h4x0r asked already: if you are using the serial number of the machine you can just use MDTs customsettings.ini to apply the name. No importing needed.

Hi! I will look into the OU script (I am not really using MDT yet, as we have accomplished everything else we need without it so far).

Unfortunately, the device number is not related to the serial# (or anything else BIOS-specific). We also do not necessarily use the computers in order. (We also want to be able to use this, in case one of them needs to be reimaged in the future and it cannot boot into Windows.)

Thank you!

Hey ,

Quite interesting discussion. Let me make quick comment regarding autonaming. In global enterprise where computer name prefix may depend on certain factor like AD site , asset tag , manufacturer .... having a piece of automation that makes installation of OS totally problem free for users is a great thing to have. Thats why I wrote it.

regarding the problem mentioned by @TheHasselhoff if you have that list then with name VS MAC address then you are almost done. For example you could have webservice that accepts MAC address and returns name based on that CSV. Refresh scenarion would not be a problem as SCCM knows what is computer name that is running the task sequence (unless you remove that record from DB for refresh scenario - I personally have one task sequence for all departments and new/refresh scenario which makes life much more easier)

Also if you have collection with unknown computers and your task sequence advertised there - if you create collection variable called OSDCOMPUTERNAME without any value it will prompt you for computer name instead of using scripts to do that

In my previous posts you could seen webservices/console extensions published by me. Today I have published the source code for both. Info is here http://itx-solutions.nl/2013/01/code-source-code-for-webservices-and-sccm-console-extensions-available/

Hope it will help ;)

Just to confirm I have implemented this service on a test lab. It was an easy installation of the webservice as per the instructions.

I have to say it does work extremely good, as I have tested it out quite a bit on the test lab which consists of 4 test VMs to deploy to. It auto-named them seemlessly and placed them in the target OU specified!! :D

I would recommend anyone who is looking for an auto_naming service to definitely try this out.

Thanks rpieniaz

Rocket Man